Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    paulp

Megan,

Thank you so much for this reply, and so quick, too! It must have been late at night when you received this.

I did have John Morgan's siblings already in my tree, but not their detailed birth dates, just the year.

I looked up Green Plains in Pembrokeshire and find a "Green Plains" road near Summerhill, just 5 miles from Lampeter Velfrey. Perhaps there was a place called Green Plains nearby in the early 1800's. Coincidentally, Summerhill has a "Morgans Way" very close to Green Plains road. Tantalizing clues.

The marriage date that you quoted - 1813 was three years after James was born. Perhaps this was Elizabeth James second marriage. My birth date for her shows her as being 18 years older than Thomas Morgan - that is if I have the correct Elizabeth James, so it is possible. How to confirm?

I have had difficulty going back any further than this generation. In your experience, does the data exist to go back further? I haven't found it. It makes me very skeptical when I meet someone who can trace their ancestry back to William the Conqueror or similar well-known personage!

Thanks again, much appreciated. Perhaps I'll ask next about John Morgans wife Sarah Thomas. I am considering joining findmypast.com. Do they have the images from the parish registers, not just the transcriptions?

Paul

Brick wall demolition expert!

A couple of points Paul:

The marriage records that I looked at only start in 1813. If you look at Find my Past (FMP) their notes on which records they have show the following parish records for Uzmaston:

Baptism: 1717 - 1912
    Marriage Banns 1827-1925
    Marriages 1723 - 1926
    Burials: 1723 - 1972

FMP do have scans of the original registers. Prior to around 1812ish parish registers were kept on any old bits of paper, and depending upon the clerics can be very legible, or absolutely diabolical. Also some of the pages may be damaged, or missing. Again depending upon the cleric some of the earliest entries can be in Latin.

The ability to take families back beyond 1800 really depends upon luck. If you have good parish records, ancestors who stay in one place, or who have unique names or who do something unique. So in Pembrokeshire, my mother's family was "Gambold" (very rare) and with a couple of well known clerics, (father and son), so I can get that family back to the late 1500s, but none of the other lines back later than about 1780.

If you have been looking at the IGI, a word of caution, up until about 1810 they assume that everyone in Wales was using the patronymic naming convention (i.e. a child took it's father's first name as it's last name, so John Morgan would be the son of Morgan Thomas), and that just isn't true. Unfortunately this largely depends upon individual families and districts.

paulp

Megan, once again thanks for your reply.

Can I just clarify a couple of points from your first reply to me: the dates of John Morgan's siblings were baptism dates, weren't they? Which register did these dates come from - were they all from the Uzmaston register?

Which register did the marriage information of Thomas Morgan and Elizabeth James in Green Plains in 1813 come from?

If you are still willing to do some additional research for me I have a couple of additional questions:

John Morgan's wife was Sarah Thomas and they were married in St Twynells in 1842. Sarah was born in 1818 in Haroldston St Issells. I believe her parents were John Thomas (birth date and place unknown) and Sarah (last name, birth date, place and marriage date, place unknown). Do you have any insights into this family - places, dates etc?

If this is too much to ask, please let me know.

I appreciate your help. I do believe that I will sign up for findmypast sometime soon. I prefer to include images from original documents with all my data.

Paul

All the children’s dates were baptisms and they came from Uzmaston parish register.

The reference to Green Plains comes from the baptism entry for John.

The marriage information would originally have come from a Parish Record, and as a guess I would say that it would have been Lampeter Velfry. However the information I gave you comes from a publication called Pembrokeshire Marriages 1813-1837, which has been around for a long time before parish records came on line, and was sold commercially. The 1837 date, reflects the fact that in 1837, all marriages (and births and deaths) had to be registered with the civil authorities.

John Morgan and Sarah Thomas – because they were married after civil registration, you could buy a marriage certificate for £9.25 from the General Register Office at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp
    However, if you are going to invest in some Find My Past Credits, that will be cheaper as they did marry in the church on 22 Oct, and you can get the parish record, which has the same information as a marriage certificate would have. Her father was George Thomas.

Orielbenfro

In addition to the previous, I have completed research on the following ;
    Headstones and Memorials of Pembroke St Mary, including modern military
    Headstones and Memorials of Pembroke St Michael including modern military in St Michael's Cemetery
    Headstones and Memorials of Monkton St Nicholas including modern military in Monkton New Cemetery
    Headstones and Memorials of Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock 1815 to 1910
    Headstones and Memorials of the Garrison Cemetery (Known as British Military Cemetery) this includes a large number of burials for which no headstone or memorial remains.
    Air Raid Victims of World War II connected to Pembrokeshire ~ Some 117 from the U.K. and Middle East

All the above have background research to a greater of lessor degree on each entry. If you require a look-up just let me know, will assist where I can.
    Rgds
    Owen Ap Benfro

JOYCHRISTA

I am searching for and would be very grateful for any information on my 4th great grandfather Joseph King (Nelson's boatswain) who I believe died in Pembrokeshire in 1829, also I understand that there is a book by Richard Rose, Pembrokeshire People, would you know if it is still available for purchase?
    I would be very grateful for any information.
    Thank you,
    Joy

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen

Have you searched "Welsh Newspapers on line" yet? -
    welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

Search for "joseph king" (include the inverted commas as part of search key). There are a couple of mentions of a Joseph King in the date range 1820-29.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Google Books:
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=s...gG&redir_esc=y

Amazon have a copy for sale but its £300.

I would take the details from Google Book search and then ask your local library if they can get hold of a copy.

JOYCHRISTA

Default Thank You

Thank you so very much for your very quick response, very much appreciated!!!!
    Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Google Books:
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=s...gG&redir_esc=y

Amazon have a copy for sale but its £300.

I would take the details from Google Book search and then ask your local library if they can get hold of a copy.

Orielbenfro

If you are after a copy of "Pembrokeshire People" let me know I can put you in contact with a woman that is selling them off on behalf of the Richard Rose Probate Estate for £45 each.
    IF you have an interest in Joe King that great friend of H. Nelson then you will find his headstone and a write up in my e-book on the headstones and memorials of Monkton St Nicholas. Book cost £5 plus £1.50
    Can not remember but pretty sure that both the above have reference to direct descendent from John who live is Austalia and had attempted to get a new headstone to Joe King (Real name Joquam Mendez).
    Excuse slow reply, Cancer can make some difficult hold ups.
    Rgds
    Owen V.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast