Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Default LEACH/RICHARDS

Hi Ally,

No problem. My appetite has been whetted by your brickwall so will look forward to you receiving the certificates from the lost members of your family which will hopefully solve some of the queries. Try not to work too hard!!

Janet

rkv18

Default Catherine Shield

Ok. Here is what i have come up with:-
    1. I went on the family search website , typed in George Leach and Catherine as his spouse, it comes up with only Catherine Shield .
    It says father Thomas Leach and if i click on Catherine, it says father Patrick Shield.
    George Leach-Gender: Male Marriage: 25 APR 1882 Marsden, Lancashire, England
    2. I had Catherine Leach written on my tree as George's spouse, the little census records sign popped up so i looked at them, it asked me if Catherine was married at the time of the census and i clicked on the other name it was Shield
    3. And finally Kieran Edward Leach's birth certificate

allyj50's niece

bumblebee

Hi rkv18

So do you mean Kierans birth certificate confirms the name of Shiel/Shield? Still some unanswered questions regarding Catherines estate of course, although maybe she just had a very good head for business.

Bumblebee

allyj50

Default KIEREN EDWARD LEACH

My grand dad's birth certificate confirms his parents as being CATHERINE LEACH formerly SHIELDS and GEORGE LEACH. DOB 1867.

Catherine's parents my niece now thinks are: ANN FINN from England and PATRICK SHIELDS. Catherine born 11 June 1867 and christened 7 July same year at St Mary's, Barnard Castle, Durham, England.

Cheers
    Ally x

rkv18

Default Catherine's birth

I believe her birth year is 1865 as it is the only Catherine that who's father is Patrick and is born in the 1860's, however it is spelt Shiels. Family search is a very reliable website. The case could be however just a spelling mistake as back then they were not as accurate on certificates as they are now. eg As on another certificate i have the persons two names were are swapped around.

Roz

janbooth

Default Catherine SHIELDS

Hi again Ally,

The Catherine SHIELDS born and baptised in Castle Barnard looks to have a Michael & Nancy SHIELDS as her parents according to the 1871 census of Castle Barnard (RG10/4945, folio 54, page 6). The only Catherine I can find with a father Patrick is in Liverpool in the 1871 census:

RG10/3809, folio 49, page 47
    169 Haigh Street, Everton

Patrick SHIELS Head Mar 36 Domestic Servant Coachman Ireland Dublin
    Margeret do Wife Mar 30 do ?
    Mary do Daur 4 Scholar Lancashire Liverpool
    Patrick do Son 2 do do
    Catherine do Daur 1 do do

I think what you have to do now Ally is to get the marriage certificate of Catherine SHIELS and George Leach to confirm just who is the father of Catherine - there are quite a few Catherine SHIELS/SHIELD(S) floating around in the 1871 census records.

Janet

rkv18

Default Catherine Shield

Yes, i do have Kieran's birth certificate which confirms Catherine Shields.
    On Family search if you type in George Leach and Catherine as his spouse and the date of their marriage it also confirms that Catherine's father is Patrick.

Roz (allyj50s niece)

janbooth

Default Catherine SHIELDS

Roz,

The Family Search website is not considered a primary source as it is only as good as the people who submit the information. Sometimes the information is spot on and is therefore an extremely good source. However, in other cases it is totally inaccurate and can positively mislead you. Kieran's birth certificate is a primary source of information and gives his father's name and occupation plus his mother's maiden name which is Catherine SHIELDS. So far so good, but to get back to the next stage and confirm which Catherine SHIELDS is actually yours, you need to obtain her marriage certificate to George LEACH which should tell you the father's name and profession of George and the father's name and profession of Catherine (always supposing that neither were illegitimate). That should enable you to track them both, with their families, in earlier census records and in turn corroborate the information on the marriage certificate.

Janet

allyj50

Default UPDATE CATHERINE LEACH NEE SHIELS

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Hi again Ally,

The Catherine SHIELDS born and baptised in Castle Barnard looks to have a Michael & Nancy SHIELDS as her parents according to the 1871 census of Castle Barnard (RG10/4945, folio 54, page 6). The only Catherine I can find with a father Patrick is in Liverpool in the 1871 census:

RG10/3809, folio 49, page 47
    169 Haigh Street, Everton

Patrick SHIELS Head Mar 36 Domestic Servant Coachman Ireland Dublin
    Margeret do Wife Mar 30 do ?
    Mary do Daur 4 Scholar Lancashire Liverpool
    Patrick do Son 2 do do
    Catherine do Daur 1 do do

I think what you have to do now Ally is to get the marriage certificate of Catherine SHIELS and George Leach to confirm just who is the father of Catherine - there are quite a few Catherine SHIELS/SHIELD(S) floating around in the 1871 census records.

Janet

A little late in replying but have only just found the information. I bought Catherine's birth certificate and her Dad was PATRICK and her mum was ELEANOR (ELLEN) ROWLEY. I have found the family living in Runcorn - in Nelson Street and Mill Street. I have further ordered the marriage certificate of George and Catherine and I think I ordered George's birth certificate too as there are just too many Georges out there!

I have just acquired the medal card for WW1 for Catherine's son Edward Kieran Leach.

Thanks for your pointers in the past.

ALLY x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12