Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mutley

Default Ordering Irish BMD Certificates

I have paid my euros (5€ a time) and downloaded the information regarding catholic births, baptisms and marriages from the North Tipperary Genealogy Centre. There does not seem to be any reference numbers as in the UK GRO system.

I have downloaded from the CRO the application forms for birth and marriage certificates to be returned to a Roscommon address with a payment of 10€ each.
    Has anyone done this and received their certificates? Do you have any advice?

I also have a marriage that I do not have an exact date for (1920 +/-2)and would like the certificate. Does anyone know if I can ask for a search within say a 2-4 year span? The application form does not have a space for this, it asks only for the exact date.

harfin

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Has anyone done this and received their certificates? Do you have any advice?I also have a marriage that I do not have an exact date for (1920 +/-2)and would like the certificate. Does anyone know if I can ask for a search within say a 2-4 year span? The application form does not have a space for this, it asks only for the exact date.

Hiya

I have ordered and bought an Irish birth certificate (alas not the correct one though!), from the Civil Registration Service in Roscommon. No problems, quite fast and efficient. My source was also via the FIFHS database, Dublin listing.

I also ordered another birth certificate based on details from a the FIFHS baptismal data base for another Irish county area, but that time there was no official record at the Registry Office (I was charged the reduced fee of 4 funny money euro wotsits.) The enclosed note stated that they had routinely looked 2 years either side of the date that I gave them (which was the date shown on the transcribed Baptismal database).

I made contact with the Parish Priest of the church at which the baptism took place, and he said that there were quite a few people who did not register the birth back in the era I was looking at (1872). It seems that the important thing was to satisfy the religious formalities, but the civil (English) registry could go to ****

I suggest you mention where the information you have in a covering letter with the application; they seem very helpful

Good luck
    Alan
    Last edited by harfin; 24-08-2008 at 8:17 AM. Reason: left out a bit

Andrewb

I used the GRO in Roscommon and could only guess at my grandfafther's birth date based on his age on his death certificate from Scotland (1886-88). The GRO found it no problem. Like Alan I found the service speedy and efficient. Two weeks from hard copy application to receipt of photocopy certificate back through my front door is exceptional.

Andrew

Mutley

Thank you to you both.

I have a big shopping list to send off for and will now take a chance and include a year for those I am not sure of.

I will keep you posted.....

thepalace1

Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    Hiya
    I made contact with the Parish Priest of the church at which the baptism took place, and he said that there were quite a few people who did not register the birth back in the era I was looking at (1872). It seems that the important thing was to satisfy the religious formalities, but the civil (English) registry could go to ****
    More words of warning regarding this.

All my mothers side of the family are from Co. Meath Ireland. I have had alot of dealings with ordering BMD certs from the Roscommon Office.

On each and every occasion I have ordered from the Roscommon office I found the service was superb. Very Fast and great communications, they even called be back on a few applications to say they could not find it and did I have any other information as they would do a nother search. Great Service.

But.......

As I have been told on many occasions from the Roscommon office, There are large and I mean large numbers of people who never registered the births of there children (Civil Reg)

My Grandmother was born in 1919 in Drogheda and she has no birth certificate because her parents did not register her birth.

So just to warn, that if you don't find birth certs then this may be the reason.

David

v.wells

What is FIFHS ? I have been unable to find a baptism for my Irish g grandparents 1840 and 1860, Limerick and Wexford. Not even anything on familysearch

Mutley

Vanessa, 'tis, the 'Irish Family History Foundation'

Expensive, but has come up with the information for me in Tipperary and has to be cheaper than a flight to Ireland.

Thanks David,
    I'll make a note.

v.wells

Love your sense of humour Mutley . And I will have a look tomorrow - I have bookmarked the page

Loves to help with queries

Whilst a birth certificate costs 10 euro from the GRO in Roscommon don't forget you can keep your costs down by ordering a photocopy of the entry in the register which costs 6 euro.

Jill

v.wells

Good point as this is an expensive hobby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast