asherman

Question hypothetical baptism?

We have been searching for the birth or baptism of illegitimate Andrew Andrews, believed to be the son of Ann born in either London or Devizes (there is some confusion in the census returns) in 1844. Our attention was brought to a baptism record in 1852 in Devizes that appears to be correct but the date is given as '1852 July 18th hypothetically'. The Wiltshire Records office have checked this against the Bishop's transcript which states the same information. The Records office also state that it is unclear what is hypothetical it could be the date or the name however the record does appear in the correct chronological order within the register.

Does anyone have any experience of this and can explain it to us?

We have no knowledge what happened to Ann as Andrew (and his elder brother Henry) were both raised by Ann's parents. We have not found the reocrds for Henry either.

Jan1954

Hypothetical baptism (Ch. of Eng.), baptism administered to persons in respect to whom it is doubtful whether they have or have not been baptized before.

As found here. It looks as though no-one knew whether or not Andrew had been baptised previously.

Reputation beyond repute

See the Book of Common Prayer

But if they which bring the Infant to the Church do make such uncertain answers to the Priest's questions, as that it cannot appear that the Child was baptized with Water, In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, (which are essential parts of Baptism,) then let the Priest baptize it in the form before appointed for Publick Baptism of Infants: Saving that at the dipping of the Child in the Font, he shall use this form of words.

IF thou art not already baptized, N. I baptize thee in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

asherman

Thumbs up

Many thanks guys. That does seem to fit with what we already guessed. IE the baptism was some years after the birth and we dont know where the mother is.

oxon57

Sometimes we know more about our ancestors than they did themselves.
    I have one of mine, born in the early 1800s, who married abroad in the 1840s.
    Two weeks before the marriage, he's baptised at the Anglican chapel there. His mother died shortly after he was born, his father in the 1830s, and presumably he didn't know whether or not he'd been baptised, so was playing safe.
    He's back over here in 1851 and his birthplace (he does at least know that) led me to the parish register in earlier years, where I found that he was baptised as a child.