Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMITHS

NicoUK

I would have put in the search box: first name John, last name Smith, place Durham and the dates from 1890 to 1900.

There is one that mentions Stockton but he may not of course have been born there:
    Smith, John Official Number: F53811 Place of Birth: Stockton, Durham 29 December 1897 ADM 188/645

NicoUK

lynda bolton

Thumbs up NicoUK

Thankyou I was putting place name stockton on tees.

lynda bolton

Unhappy Jan1954

I applied for the marriage cert but have been turned down because the first name wasnt John, even though all other details were correct. Ive sent an email today to appeal as Ive probably not got the correct name but all else is correct. I know you couldnt find it under John also so it is probably what he was known as to the family and not his correct first name. I am wondering if it is in fact Jack, that is a possiblity I am now thinking.

lynda bolton

Unhappy NicoUK

Got it now thanks. Im just needing the marriage certificate now to confirm his dob. You will see from my reply to jan1954 that Im having problems.

lynda bolton

Question Jan1954

Got the marriage cert at last but had to pay again and submit without the christian name for my grandad. He is Jack on the cert but now I have found him on the 1901 census with his mam and dad and he is John. I think thatproves he is John but how he got away with calling himself jack on marriage I do not know. Have you any ideas?

Jan1954

It seems that people used whatever names they felt like on certificates. Jack is an alternative for John and he maybe used it as that was what he was known as by the family.

You may also stumble across instances where people have been given two first names and alternate them as the fancy takes them. I have Frank (not Francis) George, who was also known as George Frank. It does not make finding them any easier, does it?

I am pleased that you have the correct certificate at last.

dona10

Default Smiths

Hi,
    When you were searching did you happen to see any links to William SMITH see details below (Fred & Martha Smith were born in Stockton on Tees in 1862/3)
    Regards
    D Anderson Australia

William Smith
    Birth:
    Abt. 1825 in Stockton, Yorkshire, England

Residence:
    1861 in Burnley, Lancashire, England

Residence:
    1871 in Darlington, Durham, England; 8 Killinghall St Age: 44; Relation to Head of House: Head

1881 in Burnley, Lancashire, England; Joiner

Residence:
    1881 in Darlington, Durham, England; 45 Allan St.Age: 54; Relation to Head of House: Head; Marital Status: Married

Burial: Mar 1887 in Darlington, Durham, England; North Rd Cemetery

Death: 16 Mar 1887 in Darlington Durham England; 10a 14

Shared Facts: Emma Prior

Children:
    Walter Smith

William Smith (My GGG Grandfather)

Fred Smith
    Martha Smith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12