Thread: Artist

sindylin

Default Artist

Hello again,

On the 1901 census an ancestor of mine has the occupation of "Artist" I know that he was a muscial type and performed on stage.

The word Artist has writing over it which makes it hard to work out if it should say "artiste" BUT....would artist mean the same or does it mainly mean "painter"

any ideas?
    thanks
    sindylin

Jan1954

Hi there,

Have you found him in 1891 with a similar occupation?

Could you post the 1901 census reference and his name, so that we could have a look, please? There may be clues in where he is living or in the details of the other people on the page.

Thanks,

Colin Moretti

I would be very scepticl about dedusing to much from the speeling of the ocuppation in a cencus retern; enumerators, like many of us, are not renound for there nowlege of Inglish spellin

collin

sindylin

lol Colin...thas wot I loike to 'ear, summink intrestin'!

Jan...

The reference for the 1901 census is:-
    RG13, piece 1568, folio 86, page 16.
    The family are living at Percy Villa, the chap is Albert Day, son aged 30

In 1891 he is listed as the visitor in the house of Calib Slade a licensed Victualler's Manager at the New Inn in Reading. Others in the house are barmaids and barmen unf. there is no occupation given for Albert.

I can't find him on the 1881 census as Albert Day or Albert Webb (his birth name)

thanks in advance for any help.

sindylin

pipsqueak

Artist Conjuror. I can't make out the word written on the top though.

sindylin

Hi Pipsqueak

I reckon you could be right there....I've just had another look at it and Conjuror would fit nicely. I wondered if the word written on top says "Ent" for entertainer/ment? The same writing is on the family above where the chap is a solicitor and it has "Law" written on top

As I said, I know Albert went on to become a Theatre Manager, he used to "do a turn" himself- a stand up parody of a character he called "Mrs Wiggins" quite who she was based on I don't know. I have a lovely photo of him dressed as Mrs Wiggins and several newspaper clippings that the Guernsey history Society gave me many years ago that mention this. I guess in 1901 age he was still experimenting in the arts world trying all sorts of things out. He was also a ventriloquist.

His claim to fame was writing the Lyrics for the Guernsey National Anthem "Sarnia Cherie" its still used to this day. He wrote it under his "stage" name G A Deighton.

Many thanks for your help.
    sindylin
    Last edited by sindylin; 22-08-2008 at 1:45 PM. Reason: ommission