owenkittyo

Default William Abraham Cate

Have discovered my forefather William Abraham Cate born about 1640-1650. lived on Elscombe Lane near Keat's Mill in Yarcomb Parish, Devonshire. Any known records of his exact dates, parents names, anything would be appreciated. He had two sons, Robert Ezra Cate & Richard Nehimiah Cate (twins born August 21, 1667) who immigrated to VA in 1689.

buteo

Default Wow. I am officially tantalized.

What is the source of this info on William Abraham. I didn't have anything other than a name.

Buteo

buteo

The population studies of Colyton in the 1600s indicate that people had small families and did not start children until later in life, women average age about 25, men 30. So your time frame for William's estimated birth may be closer to 1637, plus or minus a few years. Do you know if Robert and Richard had any siblings?

owenkittyo

Default Wiliam Cate/s of Coleydon

The particular information that I quoted came from genealogy.com Regional: U. S. States
    Virginia Genealogy Forum posted by John Cates Oct 22, 2004. I find his research to be very accurate, if he is unsure, he will state such. Much more intensive information can be found on genealogy.com. general forums. Cate forum. FYI ,William was reportedly born in 1647.
    Let me know what you can sort out from all this. I have much to read.

owenkittyo

Default William Cate's wife

By the way, his wife's name was suposedly Mary Agnes Ingles. No proof.

buteo

Default Ingles

My information is that William Abraham married Margaret Agnes Ingles.

The 1647 date is, I believe, a conjecture and not based on any particular record. If there is a record I would be thrilled to know. The date is found in the LDS database which is why it is bandied about. But the LDS database accuracy is only as good as the accuracy of its contributors.

buteo

Default Are you ready for some conjecture on William?

I don't have the records yet to back this up but here is my working theory: William Abraham is the son of William Cate who married Agnes Dummett in 1633. They had several children including a William born in 1639, very close to the conjectured date for William Abraham's birth. William was, in turn, the son of Edward Cate who is, I believe the same Edward mentioned in the will of Agnes Cate created in 1621 and probated in 1627. In that will she mentions her children: Joane, Edward, Mary and Emi. I find marriage records for all four. Mary, for example married in 1613 to Abraham Edwards who apparently married her when she was pregnant from her first husband, Richard Pike, who she married in 1612. I believe it was Abrahams willingness to marry a pregnant widow and provide for her child that endeared him to the family and thus, when nephew William is naming children he names one William Abraham Cate. (The name Abraham was not at all common among any of the families in the area if you look around). Agnes cate mentions in her will her good friend: Agnes Edwards. In addition, Abraham had a tenancy on lands of the Bishop of Salisbury by 1635 and who else is there: William Cate in a co-tenancy with his own father in law: Christopher Dummett. And Edward, brother to Mary.

If this conjecture plays out then William Abraham's parents were William and Agnes Cate, grandparents were Edward and Elizabeth Cate, great grandparents were Agnes Cate (husbands name unknown but could be Peter, John or Hugh) and grandfather is William Cate, the one likely born in Colyton in 1527 and likely one of the sons of Thomas Cate (the name mentioned as the father of Robert Cate born in Colyton in 1525). By the way, Agnes Dummett was the daughter of Christopher Dummett and Thomasina Mitchell. Thomasina's parents were Alexander Mitchell and Johane (Joan) Palfraye and Johan's parents were Richard Palfraye and Florens Bolly, all from the Chardstock area.

These links are logical to me but I lack the direct records of birth,marriage,death to complete these. But the stories have held together after new data has come to light and I am getting increasiningly convinced I am on the right track. Still can't find anything on the lineage of Robert Ezra's mother though. Please take the foregoing with a great grain of salt but it is sometimes helpful to have a construct to assist in searching, so long as one is willing to change the narrative when new information upends old assumptions.

John 58

Hello, I am also working on the theory that William Abraham Cate was the son son William and Agnes Dummet . William was born 1639 according to DORSEt OPC in Chardstock. I am very interested, if you have found anything else. Also are you aware, that a William Cate of Colyton, who died 1670. Had a will, which is at Wiltshire Archives. Thank you, John