Thread: GEOGHAN Galway?

Maud Jarvis

Default GEOGHAN Galway?

I am trying to find the family of GEOGHAN

My gt grandfather was Stephen Geoghan born abt 1841 in Galway, his father was Lawrence, both were master tailors.

Stephen went to Stafford where he married Louisa Paddison in 1866

He may have deserted Louisa and perhaps returned to Ireland, after the 1871 census he disappeared until the 1901 census when he was then living in Liverpool, wehere he died in 1913.

In 1885 Louisa had remarried stating she was then a widow, perhaps she had been told Stephen had died? if not, then she knowingly committed bigamy!
    In 1881 she and her children had been in the Stoke on Trent workhouse. Her children except for Patrick the eldest, had been sent to Canada, in 1885.

Perhaps if anyone else is researching Geoghan, they may know some of the answers?
    the cbildrens names were changed to Gagan went sent to Canada.

Copper

Have you seen this site?

https://www.geoghegan.org/clan/

This is a one name study group and they are very active. I am sure that you will find some answers here.

Maud Jarvis

Default Geoghan family

Thank you for the suggestion about the Geoghan forum.

I found that some time ago, but have so far not made any progress.

I know my m other had taken my two elder brothers Inow deceased) to Ireland in the 1920s to visit the family, I had hoped that one of my brothers, the eldest was killed in action in 1943 RN) would have known whnere my mothner had taken them, sadly unfortunately he had been too young at the time to remember. He too is now deceased and there are no relatives that I know of who could answer any questions.

I can only hope therefore that one day someone of the family, if they are still around will turn up.