Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Hall

BrendaE

Default Henry Hall

I swear (or did I dream it) that my mother told me when I was a child that Henry Hall (famous orchestra leader during the days of early telly) was related to my father's family through marriage. I had thought it would be easy to at least find some information on Henry's family on-line to see if I could track this claim down but cannot. Any advice on where to start?

Bren

BeeE586

Have you tried

https://www.jabw.demon.co.uk/hhall01.htm

I remember him from my youth. He came on the radio at (I think) 5.15 in the afternoon and wasn't his signature tune "Here's to the Next Time. ?"

Eileen

BrendaE

Quote Originally Posted by BeeE586 View Post
    Have you tried

https://www.jabw.demon.co.uk/hhall01.htm

I remember him from my youth. He came on the radio at (I think) 5.15 in the afternoon and wasn't his signature tune "Here's to the Next Time. ?"

Eileen
    Thank you for that. I haven't come across that site - although it's a long time since I've looked for anything about him. I've just had a quick squizz and it's most interesting. That's the first I've read about him being married so there's something else to follow up.
    Yes, many thanks
    Bren

Tederator

Smile Henry Hall

Henry Hall, I remember him from my youthful days, he used to come on the wireless in the evening and start off "Hello everybody, this is Henry Hall speaking and tonight is my guest night". I have a couple of audio cassettes with his music and his singers in my collection, remastered from the original old recordings. As an aside to this I also have audio cassettes of Charlie Kunz of 'Clap hands here comes Charlie' fame. Those were the days of real music, not the rubbish they blast out today.
    Cheers
    Ted.

lindad186

Hi

My mother and her sisters used to tell me that her uncle John "Jack" Phillips, a piano player played with Henry Hall at one time. She also said that he used to play on the piano in a store in Manchester to encourage people to buy sheet music. So I have been looking for info re Henry Hall (googled) to see if I can follow that lead.

Linda

Knowledgeable and helpful

Might this link help a little?

https://www.memorylane.org.uk/previous_articles.htm

Browneyes

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaE View Post
    I had thought it would be easy to at least find some information on Henry's family on-line to see if I could track this claim down but cannot.
    Hall, Henry Robert (1898–1989), dance-bandleader and radio broadcaster, was born on 2 May 1898 at 23 Bonar Road, Peckham, London, the eldest son in the family of three sons and three daughters of Henry Robert Hall, blacksmith, and his wife, Kate Ellen Smith.

I imagine you'll find him in the 1901 census.

BrendaE

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Hall, Henry Robert (1898–1989), dance-bandleader and radio broadcaster, was born on 2 May 1898 at 23 Bonar Road, Peckham, London, the eldest son in the family of three sons and three daughters of Henry Robert Hall, blacksmith, and his wife, Kate Ellen Smith.

Thank you very much. Interesting because I've just been apprised of another Smith in the family. Yes, a common surname but as I am looking for tenuous links here, it may be pertinent. Terrific.

Bren

BrendaE

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

Okay, deep breath here as I ask someone to look something up for me: the name is Rachel Smith. I am, of course, wondering if the connection between my father's family and Henry might come from his wife's side. Can someone please look up whatever needs to be looked up (if you see what I mean) to see if Rachel was, perhaps, a sister of Kate Ellen.

BrendaE

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaE View Post
    Okay, deep breath here as I ask someone to look something up for me: the name is Rachel Smith. I am, of course, wondering if the connection between my father's family and Henry might come from his wife's side. Can someone please look up whatever needs to be looked up (if you see what I mean) to see if Rachel was, perhaps, a sister of Kate Ellen.
    Oh dear: correction. I mean his mother's side of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast