Reputation beyond repute

Default 1841 North Molton - BIRD

An 1839 Devon directory has an entry for North Molton as follows "Lady Morley's School, Bird Wm, master, Bird Elizabeth, mistress, North Molton".

One of my ancestors, a school teacher born in South Molton, later married an Elizabeth Bird, widow of a William Bird. I have a feeling in my water that this one in North Molton might be her. I do know that "my" Elizabeth BIRD was born in Suffolk in 1815.

I wonder of anyone has the 1841 Devon census and wouldn't mind looking up William and Elizabeth BIRD in North Molton (or possibly South Molton?). I'd like to know their approximate ages and whether they were born in the county.

If they were about the right age and Elizabeth, at least, wasn't born in Devon, it might be worth pursuing further.

AnnB

Peter

Have looked up your Birds and have a feeling I may be about to complicate things!
    HO107/235 Schedule 3 Folio 7 Page 9
    North Molton
    East Street
    BIRD William - 45 - carpenter - born in county
    BIRD Elizabeth - 45 - schoolmistress - born in county
    BIRD George - 15 - born in county.

Over to you!
    Ann

Reputation beyond repute

Thanks for looking, Ann.

The feeling in my water was obviously misleading. Clearly not the ones I hoped they might be. An odd transformation though from schoolmaster to carpenter in two years...or perhaps there were two of them and one moved on.

Thanks again.

Little Bird

Default BIRD Continued

Hi Peter and Ann... a few years late for this conversation and I hope you pick it up,.. I am a new resident in North Molton and recently discovered that my grand mother (annie maud bird) is descended from the Birds of North Molton. from my research their is a john, parish clerk and a few more, blacksmiths and carpenters. There is also Robert who is buried inside the church, son of Elizabeth?...
    Lisa