Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    simon123simon

Default Copy of a recent will...

I have requested a copy of a relatives will w ho died recently. I am curious to see how things panned out and send#t my request for £5.00 to HMCS in Leeds West Yorkshire. I received a letter saying that a "Standing search" of the deceased was in place for the next 6 months. I have the option ot extend this for a further 6 months if required.

Also, it say's "If a grant of representation issues in England or Wales within that time, I will be sent a copy of the grant and will".

Have I applied to the right place?

What is the delay? when does this become public knowledge?

Thanks in advance.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by simon123simon View Post
    Have I applied to the right place?
    No. Should be York

https://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/c...tm#firstavenue

simon123simon

Well, just spoke to Leeds (I know you said York) who said unless a Grant is issued they probably never will get a copy for me.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this has been some job really. do York have the info after the will has been carried out and the estate distributed according?

Reputation beyond repute

I think the reference I gave you explains it reasonably well. A grant covers wills and administrations. If there's no grant, there's nothing to give you.

Why not seek out a copy of the calendar?

simon123simon

The estate has been divided up and that's that. No one has any issues with it. I have emailed York to ask for guidance.

What does the calendar do?

simon123simon

Default Copy of will no probate.

Hi,

I have been informed that probate was not required and the estate has been distributed. York inform me if no probate was granted, they will not have a copy of the will.

What can I do now to obtain a copy ?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

v.wells

If you know one of the executors of the estate they may give you a copy of the will. I got a copy of my father's will from my sister when he died. Also the solicitor who handled all the details sent me a copy, but only because I was a beneficiary. This was in Devon so I don't know about rules in other areas. Would it not go to the local record office?

simon123simon

Thanks for your input here.

I am in an unusual position where I would rather not ask anyone involved but any clues where to find the local records office on the web?.

I am really curious to see how things panned out and that's all.

Thanks again.

v.wells

Google East or West Yorkshire Record Office or wherever this took place. I believe the FOI Act allows you a copy of the Will since it has been probated and distributed. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. You could also contact any estate lawyer who will tell you where the current Wills are sent (or their secretary will).

daggers

I think it most unlikely that a will would find its way to a record office [except of course those proved in the distant past.]. York is the place for wills that have been proved, as already stated here.
    If a grant of probate has not been taken out, then I suspect the will itself has no legal status. If you do not want to approach relatives there is no way you will find anything out about its contents.

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast