Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Elley

Question Local Nottingham Knowledge Required Please

Hi,

On approaching Nottingham Railway station arriving from London, looking to the right there is an old large building gradually rotting away. It appears that maybe it was an old mill considering its age?

I am not researching in Nottinghamshire but do wonder what history this building holds every time I pass by on my travels.

Can anyone can satisfy my curiosity?

Thank-you,

Elley

SearchingSadler

I'll ask my dad tomorrow, hard to tell which area though.

I can remember once coming back on the train from Birmingham, guess thats the other direction, but I thought to myself then, what a state the buildings were in along the train lines.

Theres tons of lace factorys/mills etc.

How far from the station were you? Was it recently?

There was a massive factory over by the train station thats been revamped a while back. Think it was something to do with waterways

Could it possibly be the Malt Houses near the Victoria Hotel in Beeston? That is the only one I can think off.

Elley

Hi SearchingSadler,

Thank-you for replying.

This building is quite near the station, about a mile or so away? My OH thinks that it looks as though there may be scaffolding on the inside.

We saw it again yesterday, everytime we have visited Nottingham and passed
    by I have meant to ask someone about its history when I was back home, this time I actually remembered

I expect it would cost too much to revovate?

Regards,

Elley

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingSadler View Post

There was a massive factory over by the train station thats been revamped a while back. Think it was something to do with waterways
    Wasn't that one of the Boots Company buildings? If it is the one I am thinking of, if you cut down onto the canal and walked under the bridge, it was on a corner of the canal there. But it is a long time since I wandered around Nottingham...

Mark

Elley

Hi Neil,

I am sorry I am a stranger to the area but have been trying to follow the train line on a map and could not see Beeston near the station

Thanks for your input.

Kind Regards,

Elley

Quote Originally Posted by Elley View Post
    Hi Neil,

I am sorry I am a stranger to the area but have been trying to follow the train line on a map and could not see Beeston near the station

Thanks for your input.

Kind Regards,

Elley
    Beeston is about 4 miles west of Nottingham on the line up from Leicester which I assume your train is on. Also, the Maltings is on the left
    On the right is Siemens, then Boots, then the scrap yards until you get to the King's Meadows Road units which could be the one you are referring to. After that on the Left is a place MarkJ will know - HM Inspector of Taxes buildings

MarkJ

Shhh Neil - I don't want people hating me

Mark

SearchingSadler

aaah, the tax officer, better known as the Dalek lolol

Elley

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry I think I unintentionally misled you my apologies. We meet someone else at Grantham who travels to us via Peterborough and we then travel together to Nottingham. We Pass through Bingham, Netherfield etc.

I have only lived in this area for three years, so still learning!

Thanks again for your replies.

Elley

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast