oursong

Default Mystery McDakins!

I would be grateful for help regarding this family.
    My brickwall is Samuel Gordon McDakin/MacDakin b. abt 1773 in Peebles died 1862 Lincoln. I need to find his baptism to continue finding his family. My knowledge of Scottish resources is poor, I have searched Scotlands People with no success, but did find his son another Samuel Gordon McDakin on the 1851 census.

Thank you for reading this.
    Regards Oursong

rayrussell2000u

1851 census

Samuel Gordon McDakin
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1789
    Relation: Head
    Spouse's Name: Harriet
    Where born: Peebles, Scotland

Civil Parish: Lincoln St Botolph
    County/Island: Lincolnshire
    Registration district: Lincoln
    Sub registration district: Lincoln Home
    ED, institution, or vessel: 13
    Neighbors: View others on page
    Household schedule number: 131
    Household Members: Name Age
    Olive Ave 26
    Harriet McDakin 53
    Samuel G McDakin 12
    Samuel Gordon McDakin 62
    Harriet Wheatley

oursong

Thanks Ray Russell - Boy your quick!

Your answer is a census return? what year?
    Any ideas for his birth?

Thanks Oursong

rcwheeler

Default Samuel Gordon McDakin (1788\9-1861)

McDakin was employed 1838-61 as land steward to Richard Ellison (1807-81) of Boultham Hall: his house stood where the drive to the Hall crossed the Witham. Ellison's estate was hardly large enough to justify a full-time steward and I have a suspicion that this was a way of giving honorable employment to a relative who acted as something of a father-figure: McDakin was named by Richard's younger brother Christopher as his executor. I suspect McDakin was related to Ellison's mother, Jane (b 1775\6, d 7.2.1847 at Teddington) who had previously been married to John Maxwell (who I believe died 28.10.1814 in London (St George, Hanover Sq) aged 43). Any evidence in support of this link would be most welcome.

Message 1 quotes a very different birthdate. Where did that info come from, and is this definitely the same man? People often vary their ages +/- 5 years or so, but it's a big jump from 1773 to 1789.
    The pressure to name children after their grandparents often resulted in cousins who share both forename and middle name....

rcwheeler

Default Samuel Gordon McDakin (d1861)

The idividual I referred to declared himself to be aged 74 at the 1861 census, so he was evidently a bit vague about his age. Quite possibly Peebles was teeming with McDakins but Lincoln appears to have had just the one man and his immediate family, and he appeared to be the individual being discussed in the thread.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by rayrussell2000u View Post
    1851 census

Samuel Gordon McDakin
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1789
    Relation: Head
    Spouse's Name: Harriet
    Where born: Peebles, Scotland

Civil Parish: Lincoln St Botolph
    County/Island: Lincolnshire
    Registration district: Lincoln
    Sub registration district: Lincoln Home
    ED, institution, or vessel: 13
    Neighbors: View others on page
    Household schedule number: 131
    Household Members: Name Age
    Olive Ave 26
    Harriet McDakin 53
    Samuel G McDakin 12
    Samuel Gordon McDakin 62
    Harriet Wheatley
    Name: Samuel Gordon Mcdakin
    Birth Date: 1836
    Baptism Date: 1837
    Baptism Place: St. Botolph's, Lincoln, Lincoln, England
    Father: Samuel Gordon Mcdakin
    Mother: Harriet
    FHL Film Number: 1542050
    Reference ID: - 2:3T10ZC6

Brick wall demolition expert!

And a daughter

Name: Henrietta Lewellyn Mcdakin
    Birth Date: 1835
    Baptism Date: 1837
    Baptism Place: St. Botolph's, Lincoln, Lincoln, England
    Father: Samuel Gordon Mcdakin
    Mother: Harriet
    FHL Film Number: 1542050
    Reference ID: - 2:3T10ZB0

rcwheeler

Default Samuel Gordon McDakin (d1861)

The dau Henrietta in Oct 1862 married Frederick Clench (or Clinch), manufacturing engineer, who (later at least) was employed as a manager by the Lincoln engineering firm Robey's; the couple seem to have continued to occupy what had been the steward's house. And there was another dau Harriet, born 1838-9, not to mention a dau by the wife's previous marriage, Olivia Ave or Abe. But none of this helps with the original question.

The question that puzzled me, of why Ellison should have employed McDakin as his steward, is perhaps answered by
    Capt WVR Fane, Annals of the 3rd Bn, Lincs Regt, formerly the Royal North Lincoln Militia, 1759-1901, (Lincoln: James Williamson, 1901)
    which lists the officers of the Royal North Lincoln Militia every 10 years or so. Lieut S G McDakin appears in both the 1820 list and the 1831 list, so Ellison undoubtedly knew him via the Militia (in which he was an officer too and son of its former Colonel). I therefore withdraw my suggestion that that McDakin was related to Ellison. Incidentally, Fane gives McDakin's seniority as 1813, but this may well be in a regular regiment rather than the militia.

This poses the question of what McDakin was doing in or around Lincoln in the period 1820-36: how was he supporting himself? And why did he move to Lincolnshire? If anyone is interested in his origins they might find it worth investigating whether there is a link to the Very Rev George Gordon, Dean of Lincoln from 1810 to his death in 1845.