oursong

Default Emigrated to Australia?

I am trying to trace any info a "Charles McDakin Clench" born Lincoln 1865. Son of Frederick Clench & Henrietta Llewellyn McDakin. Oldest family members thought he may of emigrated to Australia.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by oursong
    I am trying to trace any info a "Charles McDakin Clench" born Lincoln 1865. Son of Frederick Clench & Henrietta Llewellyn McDakin. Oldest family members thought he may of emigrated to Australia.
    When his dad popped his clogs, did he by any chance leave a will in which he mentions - "to my son Charles now residing in....................."??

If he did emigrate and it was after 1890, the BT passenger lists are available on the pay-per-view site 'findmypast'

If he emigrated earlier, it may have been with assistance granted under the Poor Law Amendment Act, records of which are held at The National Archives, Kew in document class MH12.

Marie C..

Default Emigrated to Australia

No! New zealand... Wellington on the Ruahine, 13th Nov 1895 .from London Mr. Chs. M.D Clench. Something odd though as there is a line through his name? Marie

oursong

Marie you are a star!
    I have no written evidence that he went to Oz, just family word of mouth.
    Now what can the line though his name mean?

Marie C..

Default Emigration to Australia

There is also a Mr. C Dakins Clench who went to Australia,King George sound,( which is I think Albany Western Australia) on 20th Feb 1890. He was married but no family with him . Sailed on the Brittania from London.
    And why is there a line though the NZ entry?
    Marie

oursong

I have never found a marriage for Charles however, that doesn`t mean anything!
    I suspect he may not of traveled aboard the Ruahine, as his name has a line through it?

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I wonder if he became known by his father's name. I had a look at the online Western Australian BDM indexes - only one entry for CLENCH

this death ...
    Western Australia - Death index online
    Surname Given Names Sex, District, Registration Number Registration Year
    CLENCH FREDERICK MC, Male, NORTHAM 151 1920

then the only entry in Western Australia for a CLENCH (1901-1936)
    Electoral Roll 1901
    Frederick Darkin Clench
    Male, labourer
    State: Western Australia
    District: Coolgardie
    Subdistrict: Mount Morgans

The electoral roll index contains: Western Australia: 1901, 1906, 1916, 1925, 1936. There was just the one entry - I also checked CLINCH - so he didn't bother registering after he left Mount Morgans.

Mount Morgans was a goldfields town, over 600 kms from Perth, gold discovered there in 1896. Northam is 97 kms from Perth.

I had a look in some online Post Office directories but didn't find any CLENCH. I only checked three = 1901 Mount Morgans, and 1914 & 1920 WA name indexes.
    ChristineR