helena869

Smile name and sex incorrect on certificate

Hello everyone

I received a birth certificate today which was supposed to be for Nanny Hitchens Faull (girl) but has come back Henry Hitchens Faull (boy).

The record is the correct one as no other exists for Nanny, there was never a son called Henry Hitchens and the parents and place details are all correct.

I've been researching my family history on and off for a number of years, but coming back from a long time "off", I've forgotten exactly how the process works from the original registration taking place to the copy the register office has to enable further certificates to be issued.

Could someone fill me in, so I can understand a bit more about where along the line the mistake could have been made, and also if there is a way to view the original which may be correct.

Thanks very much for your time

Helena

Marie C..

Default name and sex incorrect on certificate

Is there a time on the certificate? If so then Henry may have been one of twins hence the parents' names being correct. Is the place of birth correct? Henry may not have lived long so somewhere will be a death for him. Maybe he was a little "in-between" neither wholly male or female and they named him decided later that he was more female than male and so changed his name. Or maybe the registrar was not concentrating hard enough at the time and entered the name incorrectly. It is unlikely that there were two exactly named couples who had babies on the same day. Perhaps you could contact the register office where the cert was originally issued(if it still exists) and ask them to check the original entry.
    Marie

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Or maybe the registrar was not concentrating hard enough at the time and entered the name incorrectly.
    I agree with this one. It does not sound like a mistake in transferring the record from the local office to GRO - as seeing 'girl' would make someone go back and look at the name that they had just written down as Henry again - well, I would.

Since you have the exact date and details you might be able to contact the local register and see what it says there. The GRO reg number is of no use. Perhaps they will do it without charging anything.
    ChristineR

Stuman

Default Boy/Girl

I have at least two certificates which were adjusted. For example Jane girl was actually James boy. There was then a note on the side of the certificate that it had been adjusted. I suspect that the system involved some transcription along the line and just like all transcriptions a little bad writing can be misinterpreted. It is possible that misinterpreted information was not then adjusted because of illiteracy of the recipient of the certificate which is why you have a certificate for Henry which is actually the birth of Nanny.

Stuart

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    Maybe he was a little "in-between" neither wholly male or female and they named him decided later that he was more female than male and so changed his name.
    Not as unlikely as it sounds. I have heard of a similar case, where the baby was registered as a male, and when the lady died because there was money involved, her childen had to swear affidavits to say that they did not know of this male personwith the same birth date and parents as their mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    It is unlikely that there were two exactly named couples who had babies on the same day. Perhaps you could contact the register office where the cert was originally issued(if it still exists) and ask them to check the original entry.
    Marie
    Perhaps more likely than you think, depending on the surname and the place.
    I would certainly contact the local register office, sending them a copy of the certificate, and asking if it would be at all possible for them to check the details to their original register because to the best of your knowledge the name should be Nanny, and she should be a girl.
    For the address of the register office, find the district here, click on the link and then scroll to the bottom of the page where it gives you a link to the address.
    Pam

helena869

Smile

Thanks very much everyone for your replies

Her mother "signed" with her mark, so perhaps the registrar heard Henry and not Nanny and automatically filled in the sex as boy. That seems the most likely event although I won't rule out any other error or the baby being middle sex.

I phoned the relevant office (Truro) for advice about checking the original. The lady said I would have to write in, so I'll do that and see what happens.

It's not hugely important as I have all the details I need to research further, but it will be interesting to see what the original says nonetheless.

Marie C..

Default nameand sex incorrect on certificate

Well they are very nice at Truro reg. office so I am sure they will sort it. I guess Henry could sound like Nanny.
    Marie