A fountain of knowledge.

Default Boss Family (Revd George Hall)

The Revd George Hall was known as the Gypsies Parson, and he wrote a book with that title. He travelled extensively with the Rom even though he himself had no Rom blood in his veins. He recorded all the information he gleaned from his romany friends, and deposited this information in the Journals Of The Gypsy Lore Society. Much of the information known today comes from family trees he compiled and deposited.

The story starts with:

Edmund Boss and his brother John.

Edmund married Eldorai Boswell the sister of Shadrack Boswell.

Their children were:

Margaret 'Peggy' married Reynolds Heron/Hearn

Seni married Leshi Heron/Hearn

William

Peter married Winifred

Sibella

Eliza married cousin Anselo Boss/Boswell.

Edmunds suposed brother was John Boss (wife unknown) and he had:

Anselo Boss/Boswell married cousin Eliza

Ambrose married Penny Boss

Tom

John

Molly

Vaino/Viney/Salavaino/Salavena who married Comfort Wood(all)

Mary

Licia 'Galled eyed Licia'

The Boss family, according to the old families who gave their histories, were all Heron/Hearns and Boswells really, and the names were interchangeable at will.

I should mention here Riley Boss - who was really a Heron - but whos family were known as Boss. The son of Leshi Heron and Seni Boss, he died in Kensington in 1850.

Also around at this early date and almost certainly a relative was:

Newcombe Boss who was transported to New South Wales Australia in 1819 on the Canada.
    He was written about by Hall, described as one of the children of Riley Boss, and known as Newton or Newty. But he almost certainly wasnt one of Rileys children. But more likely Rileys brother. Riley did have a son Newcombe but he was born in 1828 and far too young to be the Newcombe transported.

The Newcombe who was transported had at least two children in England:

Charlotte Boswell c.03.11.1813 Swineshead Lincs d/o Newcomb and Mary
    Lizzy Boss or Boswell c.03.11.1816 Ilketshall St Margarets Sfk d/o Newcombe and Sarah.

---------------------------------------------

Reynolds Heron and Peggy Boss had:

Sanspirella b.cir 1800 married Ambrose Smith (The Jasper Petulengro of George Borrows books - she was re-named Pokomovna Hearn.) In later life Ambrose reputedly took the Reynolds name for a surname. He died in Dunbar, Scotland in 1878. 'Sansray Reynolds' can be seen on the 1881 Census in Edinburgh.

Moses c.1802 Benefield Nthants

Bidi, Esau and Richard, all of whom apparently emigrated to the USA.

'Femi' (as recorded, was most likely really a Phoebe)

Abraham, who married Ezi Boss

Eli c.02.03.1823 Brayton Yk married Marenni Heron

Obedience c.08.10.1815 Mancetter Wrks

Susan c.06.05.1826 Wortham Sfk

-----------------------------------------------------

Seni and Leshi had:

James Heron aka Vanis aka Riley Boss d.1850 Kensington London and buried Brompton Churchyard. He had three wives:

Charlotte Hammond b.cir 1800 the daughter of Anthony Hammond and Paizi Heron, she ran off with Zachariah 'Zacky' Lee who was transported in 1835, and died in 1847 in Summerhill, NSW.

Lucy Boswell, d/o Tyso b.cir 1810/13 eventually went to the USA.

Susan Smith aka Shurensi/Shorensy 'Yoki Shuri' (Lucky Shuri) b.cir 1800 Oxfordshire, died 1868 at Hull.

The story goes that he led all his wives a miserable life, and that eventually Shuri made him choose between her and Lucy. He chose Shuri but for making him choose, he broke her jaw.

Swiftly moving on Penny married Ambrose Boss in 1814 at Solihull.

Clara - much younger than Riley Boss, she spent some time with a Gorja family before Riley came and took her away and back to the Romany life. She married Cornelius 'Nelus' Smith.
    She died in 1889 at Wickham Market in Suffolk.

JoanneM

Hi Ann,

I just wanted to say thanks for putting this info on. A combination of visitors and icky kids has meant I haven't been online for a couple of days. I'm going to try to get my brain into gear now and understand it all (more coffee needed, I think, lol).

Jo.