Thread: Gunsmith

Robert Charles

Default Gunsmith

my G.G.Grandfather was a Gun maker & Finisher for over fourty years in Birmingham. could anyone elaborate on the trade and I wonder where he could have worked .Robert..

Jan1954

Hello Robert,

There is a "History of Purdey Guns" website and, if you click on the link to the left that says "The Factory" it will show you the process.

alij123

Smile Re Gunsmith

My great great grandfather was also a gunsmith but is named as a gunsmith on the census records, would be interested to hear what you discover about the trade.
    good luck,
    Alison

Reputation beyond repute

"Gunsmith" is a general, non-specific term for anyone who assembles, fits or finishes guns or makes parts for them.

"Finisher" is rather more precise and means someone who adds the stock and hand grips, checks the gun has been assembled properly and that it works smoothly and finally oils it.

You will find Wikipedia description of the gun quarter interesting and plenty of links to follow.
    Good luck

Reputation beyond repute

Discovery Knowledge channel is rerunning the Industrial Revelations series wall-to-wall today (Sunday). The episode entitled Coining It covers Birmingham's industries including gun making.

Robert Charles

Default Thanks.

Thanks Peter, Been out in the garden till now but got the telly on now. My G.G.Grandfather was the Gun Maker as I said,his son my G.Grandfather may have used some of them he was in the Royal Artillary for years. Robert..

John Nicholas

Hello Robert,

Have you tried any trade directories covering the years you are interested in? Looking in a director under gunsmith, gunmaker, armourer etc can give some flavour of where the trade was carried out and by which individuals and companies. Directories can often be viewed at libraries, some are free to view on the internet and some are available for purchase.

John

Robert Charles

Hello John,You gave me a bit of a turn,at a quick glance your name is simular to my gunmaker g.g.grandad, his name was John Nicholls (b)Hartshorne,Derbyshire. Robert..

kumben

Default gunsmiths

Try "The Sealed Knot" - there is a chap working on his own making gunsetc for use in these pageants done by Sealed Knot - I think his name is Ron and he lives in Walsall - he would know all the contacts as he has to get his barrels tested before he sells them.