Thread: Surrey Roots?

Ford1962

Default Surrey Roots?

Hi. I'm just starting my research in England.

Here's what I know about my ancestors. Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated!

William FORD (b 1801, England, d 1854 Ohio) and his wife Harriet (b 1795, England, d 1843, Ohio, unknown maiden name) brought their 3 sons and 1 daughter to New York in 1837-38 (William with 2 boys, William and Henry Thomas in 1837, then Harriet with son James daughter Harriet in 1838). Both ships sailed from London. They were furriers/hatmakers. They settled in Cincinnati, OH.

Children-
    William Ford, born Richmond, England, 01 01 1821, died 16 07 1911, Peoria, Illinois. Worked as a furrier as a young boy.

Henry Thomas Ford, born England, 1823, died 10 06 1878, Kansas

James Ford, born England, 13 03 1826, died 24 12 1864, Peoria, Illinois.

Harriet Ford, born England, 1830, died 16 09 1869, Peoria, Illinois.

According to a county history on the son William, he was born in Richmond, England, "near London."

I have checked the parish records for both shires with the city of Richmond, with no results. Any suggestions on where else I can look? Are there any city directories from that time frame and where can I find them?

I've read a little about the "non-conformist" records, but I'm not sure what those are. According to the county history, son William said that he and his family attended the Church of England before they left for the US.

Marie C..

Default Surrey

Been through the Hugh Wallis for churches in Richmond and Kingston. Lotsof Fords baptised at St. Mary Magdalen Richmond and St Johns and also in Kingston(it borders Richmond. Several William Fords born in 1800; one 22 July 1800 parents William and Charlotte at St. Mary Magdalen . Another William with parents Wm and Elizabeth. Cannot find your Henry Thomas 1823 or james Ford 1826 or William Ford marrying Harriet but then Harriet may not have come from the area and might have been married in her home church. Perhaps you might have some help from Surrey studies centre.(google for web site and E mail address as I cannot find it just now. (I too have people baptised at Richmond and at Kingston.) Will keep looking.
    Marie
    ps try www.surreycc.gov.uk and follow the links. Hope you have better luck than I have had. Like you my people left/ or died before the 1841 census and though I found some baptisms at Kingston and at Richmond they just seem to fade into thin air after that!

Ford1962

Default Re: Surrey

Thanks for taking the time to do the look up. What's the "Hugh Wallis?"

I contacted the Local Studies Collection in Richmond, they searched the St. Mary register and didn't find anything, but I think they only looked for exact matches.

I will try the Surrey History Centre.

I was just looking at my notes, I forgot to mention that Harriet's maiden name may be THOMPSON.

Marie C..

Default Surrey Roots

Lots of Thompsons in Richmond, Kingston and Walton on Thames. Only Harriet I could find was Harriott Thompson bap 17 Jan 1808 Walton on Thames. parents Samuel Thompson and Sophia.!
    Hugh wallis is https://www.freepages.genealogy.roots...iBatchNumbers/
    If this doesn't work just google Hugh Wallis genealogy website and the exact url will come up. Then go to country and click on the county(Surrey). Find the town and then put the name in you are searching for. It is probable your Harriet was local to the area but she could have been a relative of Kingston Thompsons and come from anywhere.
    Marie

Maid Marian

Have you tried looking in the PR's for Ham??

Ham is a village next to Richmond Park and I have a lot of family history there myself but it has sometimes been referred to as 'Richmond' in error

I think the church in Ham is St.Andrews

Marie C..

Default Surrey roots

Something very strange happened today. I was trying to help Ford 1962 find his folk and,
    Maid Marion, you mentioned Ham and St. Andrews Church.
    I knew ,because I have searched before in Ham, that I couldn't find records for Ham church. I have Gumms born Ham but can find no records for them.
    But just to make sure I googled St. Andrews Church, got the address and sent an e mail.
    Immediately received a standard e mail reply to say vicar not available til .... August .
    This morning an e mail from the administrator of the church . She is my cousin! (I only have two cousins, sisters). I am in contact with this one only by Christmas card once a year and have no contact at all with her sister.
    We are both delighted to be reunited.... and she tells me the church only dates from 1832 hence no records before then. Kingston and Richmond were the places for baptism.
    I am now hoping, fingers crossed, she will be able to locate your Fords and my Gumms.
    So thank you Ford and thanks Maid Marion.
    Marie

Maid Marian

Wow!!
    I hope you both find what you are looking for
    If you find any connection to the Milton family please let me know