Falcor

Default VIEW BEFORE YOU BUY?

This question may have been answered elsewhere so apologies in advance if it is a duplication.

If I order a certificate online, and put in the additional details for reference checking, and it is a mis-match, then I only pay a proportion of the £7 (current) charge. My question - is there any way one can view the actual entries before applying for the certificate? I seem to remember going to St.Katherine's House ?? in London in the late 60's/early 70's as a child, and being able to view the actual entries. Or am I having a fantasy?

It would be nice to be able to see the actual entries and save a lot of hassle of ordering certificates etc. Scotlandspeople website seem to offer a 'more enhanced' service than our 'English' system. You can see the detail and download a copy!

Falcor

Reputation beyond repute

You need to buy the certificate.

Default look before you buy

Quote Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
    It would be nice to be able to see the actual entries and save a lot of hassle of ordering certificates etc.

Falcor
    As Eliza said " wouldnt it be luvverly " :-)

Cheers..Ed

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Falcor
    I seem to remember going to St.Katherine's House ?? in London in the late 60's/early 70's as a child, and being able to view the actual entries. Or am I having a fantasy?
    Different countries, different systems, I can remember going to St.Cats House from the early 70s and can only remember the indexed volumes on the shelves - not the full entries. 'Twas still fairly empty then for most of the day and easy to wander around; but as the 70s progressed it would fill up very quickly in the morning and finding a space to view a volume in some parts could involve a lot of shoving.

Starting to feel at home Creighton's Avatar

I do remember going there too in the 1960's I think or early 1970's. You could view the entries and a copy of a certificate was 8/- (40p for you kids).

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

It depends on the place and the time.

If you know the church where the marriage took place, and the registers for your time span have been filmed by the Mormons, then you can view it at your nearest Family History Centre.

What you would see is identical to what is sent to the local record office and then on to GRO (plus or minus transcript errors along the way) They charge a small fee to order the film, and then you would need to pay for printing the copy.

Even on Scotlands People you cannot look at the actual certificate first before you buy it.
    ChristineR

Falcor

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post

Even on Scotlands People you cannot look at the actual certificate first before you buy it.
    I mentioned this earlier, it is a shame a similar arrangement doesn't exist in the same format for England & Wales. I read somewhere they started this and it was called Pigeon or Magpie or some garden bird name for a project, but it was shelved? Not too sure about the details - lack of money I guess - got to fund 2 wars haven't we!

Tederator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ed McKie View Post
    As Eliza said " wouldnt it be luvverly " :-)

Cheers..Ed
    It certainly would be 'luvverly', you would just be able to bring them up, copy them and then print them out free of charge, unfortunately there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Cheers

Ted.

Wee Annie

Hi all,
    Scotlands people have quite a good system. They do give you a few options first, you pick the most likely, then buy. It also does not cost as much to download the image. Then you can have a good look at it. It is a pity the English gov dont do the same. Money as usual. I think it would save time in the local registry office too

Annie