Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    xqdg

Default RE r a ? rha? port talbot bks 1914-1918

i am trying to find out the name of the old bks that stood in port talbot , it was used by r a and rha at different periods ,i believe it was there for a nearly 150 years or so but i can find no ref about it at all , i understand that dureing 1800s that troops used to bunk up in private houses around bks, so it would not have been a big bks ,, part of the old stable block still stands and is now a indoor range ,, and is used by asf , any help on this matter would be gratefully accepted , email add is in my profile.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 23-07-2008 at 5:09 PM. Reason: email address removed

OK so I understand Port Talbot but all the abbreviations mean nothing. There is no need to abbreviate words on here, and using the whole word ensures that everyone understands what you are asking for.

I would hate it if you missed out on information because the person who could help didn't understand the abbreviations.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

pipsqueak

Agreed.

After realising that the lower case letters were abbreviations, I automatically read "bks" as books, "r a" as Royal Academy and "rha" as Royal Horticultural..... something-beginning-with-A, all in the space of 20 seconds!

pipsqueak

OK I've re-read and I get it now:

bks = barracks
    r a = Royal Artillery
    rha = Royal Horse Artillery
    asf = still a mystery

Mutley

Is this a new competition?

If so you are doing really well Pipsqueak.

xqdg, if you would like us to edit your title into something that people would understand better we are quite happy to do so.

Some of the members reading the posts are not that good with sight, are a bit old, well ancient really. They don't do text speak and may not be able to make sense of your abbreviations.

PS What is asf?

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Is this a new competition?

If so you are doing really well Pipsqueak.

xqdg, if you would like us to edit your title into something that people would understand better we are quite happy to do so.

Some of the members reading the posts are not that good with sight, are a bit old, well ancient really. They don't do text speak and may not be able to make sense of your abbreviations.

PS What is asf?
    Mutley, you make me laugh!

asf= all souls foolish?

I am NOT old BUT I do NOT do text speak and it is unnecessary here.
    Last edited by v.wells; 23-07-2008 at 8:15 PM. Reason: added more

I suspect that xqdg wants us to email with the answers.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

PS What is asf?
    Take your pick from these - there are loads!!

I'd guess Army Special Forces from the context
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Mutley

Nah! I am going to chose

Anti Spam Filter

It might send the nasty spammers into a tizzwas thinking we had found a new way to disguise email addresses.

xqdg

Nah! I am going to chose

Anti Spam Filter

It might send the nasty spammers into a tizzwas thinking we had found a new way to disguise email addresses.
    the answer to all your questions are that the thread is aimed at army people who are in the know, the abbrevreations are as some one mentioned but it should not have been asf it should have been acf= army cadet force

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast