Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revenue Cutter

tassiegirl

Default Revenue Cutter

I am trying to find a print/sketch/drawing of the Royal George Cutter or of a similar designed cutter, an ancestor was a mariner on board the Royal George in the early 1800's and I would like a picture to in his part of the family story, he lived on Cumbrae, Scotland so presume that is the area he worked around.

I don't do easy requests because all the easy bits have been researched and found.

Thanks.

Laurie

MarkJ

There are pictures of Customs Cutters in action (HM Cutter Wickham) as well as a lot of reading material for background at this site -

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/17563...-h/17563-h.htm

Mark

busyglen

Thanks for that ulr Mark, I have found it very interesting, and hadn't seen this before.
    I am sure tassiegirl will find it of interest also.

Glenys

MarkJ

Cheers Glen
    I shall be reading that later myself! Some good gory bits in there I spotted

Hopefully it will be of use to Laurie - even if only for background reading on the role of Customs Officers in the late 18th and early 19th century.

Mark

tassiegirl

Default Revenue Cutter

Hi Mark.

Thank you for the site, makes fascinating reading and gave me some insight into the revenue men, all the information should eep me quiet for hours, I must say I was impressed by the speed you sent it to me and I thought it was a difficult query.

thanks again, must think of some harder for you next time.

Laurie

MarkJ

Glad the site was useful Laurie
    It is very interesting reading - and there is a whole section on the Cutters.

Mark

arrandi

Default royal george. Millport.

hello.
    I saw your notes from last year re the Royal George.
    I have traced ancestors named Andrew and Isaac Thomson, living in Cardiff st. Millport and working aboard the Royal George. Are there any more references to crew from that time. I have been trying to get a list of crew members around 1780s and any history ofthe Royal George.
    Audrey.

lauriemac

Default Revenue Cutter

Hi, I bought the book "Clyde Coast Smuggling" by J R D Cambell, it gives the history of the cutters and a lot of information including a photo of the Royal george, makes very interesting reading.

Laurie

arrandi

Hi Laurie,
    many thanks for your reply. I managed to get a copy of that book last year plus a few on clyde coast and galloway smuggling. Unfortunately I cant seem to get any further on the crew members of the Royal George or the Thomson family in Millport.

Audrey.

lauriemac

Default revenue cutter

Hi Audrey

there might be a connectionn here, my line of research is the Templeton name from Cumbrae.

William Templeton married Ann Walker, their second child William born 1822 married Agnes Crawford born born 1814 to Archibald Crawford and Jane/janet Thomson, Archibald was a mariner on the Royal George. William and Ann's 6th child was Walker who is my direct ancestor

Cumbrae memorials, plot 181, Archd Crawford mariner on board Royal george cutter died 1/1/1858 age 86, wife Jane Thomson died 13/9/1852 aged 80, daughter Mary died 12/2/1861 age 63.

plot 209, Isaac Thomson seaman died 10/1/1837 age 74, the rest is confusing, see if you can work it out. imo bro And 8/12/1786 age 54, fa And Thomson 1797 age 83, wife Eliz Wilson 14/6/1839 age 78, s John 27/8/1858 73, (w Agnes McDougal 8/2/1870 75, 1s Isaac 27/2/1893 62.

can you check this against your notes and see what comes up and I will try and get back further, I have the Bute and Arran gravestone inscriptions pre 1855, that is where I found the information above.

look forward to hearing from you

Laurie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast