kris

Default Whigs and Tories in 1830-1840

What were the key differences between the Whigs and Tories during this period?

Just trying to understand what type of person would've voted for a Whig. Would he have really been as debauched as a 21st century Liberal

I can't remember who came before Queen Victoria!

Booger

Reputation beyond repute

Gentry, wealthy merchants, church of England: Tories

Shopkeepers, industrialists, non-conformists, reformers: Whigs

Ordinary folk: No vote (although middle class had the vote from 1832)

That's a caricature but more of a grain of truth in it than your remark about 21st century Liberals.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Booger
    The 100 years up to Victoria were:

George II 1727-1760
    George III 1760-1820
    George IV 1820-1830
    William IV 1830-1837

Geoffers

Guy Etchells

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    What were the key differences between the Whigs and Tories during this period?

Just trying to understand what type of person would've voted for a Whig. Would he have really been as debauched as a 21st century Liberal

Booger
    The Whigs (later to become Liberals) were opposed to Charles II religious policies, and wanted parliament to be stronger than the king. The name came from Scottish Puritan Outlaws
    The Tories (later to become Conservative) supported his policies, divine right of kingship, authority of the church of England and opposed reform. The name came from Rural Irish Catholic Bandits.
    Cheers
    Guy

kris

Thanks for the clarification.

It certainly helps to build up a picture of our ancestors. George Cady (1784-1866) was a yeoman farmer, and he seems to have been fairly wealthy for a non-gentry type. This makes more sense now. I see that the name before his on the 1835 poll book was the village reverend and he voted for two Tories.

Weren't the Whigs also opposed to slavery?

George's g.g.grandson (my granddad) Dick Cady was a quiet and laid back man (never remember him arguing with anyone)- not at all religious, although he was married in a CoE church. I wonder if he had a similar personality to George. It's interesting to recognize the traits we inherit. I'm a bit like my granddad (as was my mum), except I AM religious and I'm also a Tory. Sounds like Whigs were nicer people than the Tories back then. How things have changed

Reputation beyond repute

You're talking as if there was a secret ballot. A yeoman farmer, whether or not he owned land, would have been subject to pressure from someone who could make life very difficult for him if he didn't vote the "right" way, The chances are, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, is that he voted the way he was told to vote.

And will you please stop making gratuitous throwaway remarks about present day politics. There are plenty of other forums where you can do that to your heart's content.

kris

Default Whigs, Tories...

Thanks all.

I understand that voting in those days was an open affair, but I would've thought that if he was pressurized into voting for a particular party, then surely it would've been the Tories (establishment, conformist...)? Besides, if he was under extreme pressure from the vicar, local gentry &c., then couldn't he have simply abstained? I noticed that another 4xg.grandfather of mine isn't in the pollbook. He definately owned land and houses (his will of 1842 states this explicitly). I wonder why he didn't appear to vote...

Also, I think it's strange that some men voted for one Whig and one Tory. Surely you are either a wet Liberal or a virtuous Tory - I'm joking of course

I've ordered a copy of Hale's and Wilson's election literature to see what the local issues were and what old George was voting for. Should be an interesting read.

Regards,

Booger.