Thread: william bateman

p. harrison

Default william bateman

My great-great-great grandfather,William Bateman from Saxthorpe,Norfolk,served with the 56th Foot in India and Mauritius 1804-1826.He was discharged and became a Chelsea Pen.I have tried to obtain his Attestation Papers ,without success.

bumblebee

Hi P Harrison

Welcome to the forum.

Can you just clarify the difficulty obtaining his papers - just realised that you wanted Attestation papers, in the three discharge papers I have obtained from the National Archives all have contained a copy of the Attestation.

They are on the National Archives Site, I believe you can request a quote online.

Go to the National Archives Catalogue, type in his name and WO for the reference, amongst others you will see two entries come up, one for the one you specified and one for William Bateman, Born Saxthorpe, Norfolk, Served in 83rd Foot Regiment, Discharged aged 40, 1831-1853, click on one and then you will see the 'request this' button on the right.

Hope this helps.

Bumblebee
    Last edited by bumblebee; 19-07-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: amending information

p. harrison

Default william bateman

Thanks for your reply.I have William`s discharge papers from the National Archives but I when I requested his attestation papers none was forthcoming.I can only assume they are not available.Is there any other source I could try?