Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    busyglen

Default Any FrontPage 2003 Experts?

I could use some help from someone who has uploaded photos with FP please.

I have followed the manual and have seven photos in a Folder called photogallery. I have then proceeded to my FP Gallery page where they will be displayed and added them one by one to the list, and then chose the display. I then saved and uploaded the page to my website.

FP manual says that it will automatically save the pictures with the Web page and copies the thumbnails and full versions of the photos to the Web when I publish. So....where are they? I think they are floating in space!

Now I know that normally you need the photo/image to be loaded as well, but I tried loading the photogallery folder, but it made no difference.

If anyone is able to help can the PM me and I will give you the link so that you can view the source. I can't show it here as it is with Rootsweb, which now also includes *A* in the ulr. (Just to make life more difficult)

MarkJ, if you want to have a look, just add /photo_gallery.htm to the ulr that I gave you before, if you still have it.

Glenys

MarkJ

I will happily look Glen - but I don't use FrontPage, so I may be stuck when it comes to FP specific things
    I presume the photos have been uploaded to the site?
    Not a path problem is it? Because the photos will be in a folder, you would need the path to include that folder name if you uploaded in that way.

Off to look now Glen

Mark

Edit: Have looked - it appears to be a path problem looking at the page quickly Glenys.
    Each image,according to your code, should be in the same place as the rest of your html - i.e not in a seperate folder. If it is, then all you need to do is to put /name_of_folder before the /imagename.jpg part.

busyglen

Thanks Mark...I will have a look and see what happens.

I know you don't use FP, but as the text mentioned the webbot thing I was on about yesterday, I thought you might like to see where it came from (although admittedly, I didn't tell you this) Doh!! Sorry.

Glen

MarkJ

Ah - no problem! I shall look at the code with my all seeing eye

Mark

The webbot thing has been added by FrontPage - it looks as if that is what it calls the code it uses for the album Glen. Not a problem.

Looking at the source code, unless you have changed it since earlier, it shows this for the photos -

photogallery/photo00005637/41719759.TScan058[1].jpg

So, it will be a case of looking where the pictures are in relation to the website space itself and changing the code to suit.
    The photo00005637 bit seems to apply to each picture, so it would seem that is supposed to be a folder as well. Thus, your photos would be in a folder called photo00005637 which would be inside a folder called photogallery for that to work.

Mark

busyglen

I hope it's the `good' one!

I've been googling the webbot code and I am even more lost now! Some of the answers relate to an earlier version of FP so it's possible that things have changed a bit since then.

I tried the Validator to see if it would pick anything up, but a lot of the issues are to do with the *A code I think. I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have started this, although the rest of it seems ok now, it's just these blessed photos now. If it was just a case of putting in an image (like the badge on the Coastguard site) I wouldn't have a problem.

Thought....I wonder if I could scrap the photos and do it that way? Although, the rest of it is dealt with via FP, so I don't know how it would work. ??

Glen

MarkJ

It is good that you have created the site Glen - having seen various parts of it, I know it will be a useful resource, as well as an interesting site to simply "nose around"

The validator - I assume you mean the w3c one? - won't like a lot of things on the site I expect. (I checked - it had a funny turn )
    FrontPage code always seems to make the Validator have a turn - stuff like not putting in the DocType means that the page will fail automatically and not declaring the DocType always throws up lots of other errors because the w3c site doesn't know how to deal with the page if the DocType is missing.

The problem with scrapping the FP stuff and rebuilding that page manually is how to get the effect you are after. I guess the page should show thumbnails which you can click to get a full sized image? That isn't too hard to do, but if you want a clever "roll over" effect - where if you place the cursor over a photo thumbnail it brings up the full sized image, that is a little more tricky (although Neil has done that several times I recall!)

Personally, I prefer the "simple" approach rather than having to start messing with scripts to get pages to do things. We did a page with a load of clickable thumbnails for some insect pictures a while back and it was very simple really.

Mark

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Ah - no problem! I shall look at the code with my all seeing eye

Mark

The webbot thing has been added by FrontPage - it looks as if that is what it calls the code it uses for the album Glen. Not a problem.

Looking at the source code, unless you have changed it since earlier, it shows this for the photos -

photogallery/photo00005637/41719759.TScan058[1].jpg

So, it will be a case of looking where the pictures are in relation to the website space itself and changing the code to suit.
    The photo00005637 bit seems to apply to each picture, so it would seem that is supposed to be a folder as well. Thus, your photos would be in a folder called photo00005637 which would be inside a folder called photogallery for that to work.

Mark
    I did delete some text within the photos Mark so it may be a bit different, although it shouldn't have altered the code.

The photos are in a folder called photo00005637, which automatically was set up when I added them. I tried uploading that (although I deleted it again) as it didn't work then either. As I mentioned before, FP does say that the images are automatically uploaded at the same time as the page.??

I've got to go now, and shan't be able to work on it any more tonight.
    Thanks for looking, and if anyone else has more knowledge and needs the ulr to have a look, could they PM you Mark so that you can give it to them? It's a pain with the A* ulr. It would have been easier if I could have just shown it.

Thanks again for looking. Will have another bash tomorrow.

Glen

busyglen

I'm just not clever enough Mark! I think this will be my last venture! I'm getting to old.

Bye for now.

Glen

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen View Post
    I'm just not clever enough Mark! I think this will be my last venture! I'm getting to old.

Bye for now.

Glen
    No such thing Glenys!
    It will be something fairly simple. I will see what we can work out together tomorrow. If you drop me a quick email when you are around, I can ask a couple of quick questions and we should be able to get it sorted in a few minutes

Mark

Glenys

I am a complete computer dumbo but use Front Page 2003 to run my croquet website at www.swfcroquet.org.uk
    I have photos on there and have not had a problem uploading them, although as Mark says you have to be careful with the path name, and when I put the photos into folders I had to jiggle around a bit. I have only included the URL in case Mark can use it to access HTML code or some such - I don't expect you to wade through my site!

If you PM me the details of your site then maybe, just maybe, I can see how it differs from the way I do it! I promise nothing
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast