Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Street Maps 1880's

Hallo
    I wonder if anyone knows if I can obtain detailed street maps to buy for Nottingham which would include Basford,New Basford, Radford,Mansfield etc. these represent the most populated areas of Nottingham where many of my ancestors lived in different areas from around 1860-1920.
    I did have some photocopies of areas showing the streets etc but think a proper maps of this time would be an investment if they are available.
    Jane

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Alan Godfrey maps are quite good
    Last edited by Jan1954; 24-05-2009 at 3:59 PM. Reason: Commercial url deleted

TonyProctor

A while ago now, I bought a whole bunch of large scale maps from the Ordnance Survey. These cover the whole of Nottingham City in 1880's and in 1950's. Each sheet is huge and it took at least 9 to cover the city. However, every street has house numbers on. They are absolutely invaluable.

These must still be available but I'm sure the historic maps were passed from Ordnance Survey to something like the British Library - I'm not totally certain of their destination so maybe someone else knows more details. Alternatively, just call the Ordnance Survey folks and ask about historic maps :-)

A fountain of knowledge

You can see them online at old-maps.co.uk (www in front). Click on Enlarge Map in a blue blue box for your selected date to view. The quality of some of the scans isn't very good.