connie1021

Question WILLIAM ERNEST DAVIES

This is my Uncle and he was an Editor for a paper in Watford. He also wrote books on fishing under the name Bill Davies. I would like information on him in Watford and was not sure were to post this question.

Thanks
    Connie Cooper

Jan1954

Hello Connie,

As Watford is in Hertfordshire, I have moved your post to the Hertfordshire forum.

Do you have any dates for your uncle? Birth? Death? What years was he editor of the newspaper? Do you know which one?

Sorry, I know that it is a load of questions.

The main Watford newspaper is the Watford Observer. Give it a google and see what pops up.

connie1021

Default William Ernest (Bill) Davies

My uncle was born in 1900 in Brierley Hill Staffordshire to Ernest Grainger and Nelly L Grainger. This is on the 1901 Census from Worcestershire. He and my father changed their last names to Davies when their mother married George Thomas Davies in 1904. I am not sure of the years he as in Watford or what part of the paper he worked on. He and my Dad just said he was the Editor of the Watford paper. I have a change of address card with his address 66 Rickmansworth Rd Watford change to 9 The Parade, Ashley Road, New Milton,
    Hants. Before he died he and his wife lived with his daughter in Southbourne Bornemouth.
    I have not been able to find a record of his death. I think it was in 70's or 80's. Both of my parents are dead so it has been hard finding this information. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Connie

bjelkier

Connie,

Do you have your Uncle's date of birth? The death indexes for 1970's and 80's also give the date of birth which would help to identify the right one. I found a William Ernest [born 23/1/1900] in Dec Q 1970 but it was registered in Don Valley [2b 1212] but that is in Yorkshire.

connie1021

Smile William Ernest Davies

Thanks for giving me the info. but I don't think it is him but I will check it out.

janbooth

Default William Ernest GRAINGER/DAVIES

There is a birth registration for a William Ernest GRAINGER in the September qtr 1900 at Stourbridge reg district (contains the parish of Brierley Hill at that date), vol vol 6c, page 209.

HTH

Janet

connie1021

Smile Birth Record

Thanks, that may be my Uncle he was born Aug 10 of that year I think.

Thanks again

annabel

Hello Connie, I just saw this thread. If it is any help, the address in Watford Road is the same road as the offices of The Watford Observer which were also there until a few years ago ,when they moved

connie1021

Default REply to annabell

Thanks, the paper my Uncle worked for was the Watford Observer He was one of the Editors, I think. Because he liked to fish and wrote many books on fishing I think he was ;a sports editor .