Titanicfan

Question Probate Search Query

I am about to order a will from The Probate Registry, York for the first time and as a newbee I have a query about this. Whilst reading the info. sheet it said that documents prior to the early 1930s will be copies of manuscript or typescript record copies and not facsimile copies of the original document. Would anyone advise whether it's better to order the facsimile copies of the original (if the original documents are in good condition) or whether the copies of manuscript or typescript record copies would be better? Also, what is the difference between probate and a will? Sorry to be a bit dim but i've never dealt with wills before in any situation. Thank you.

Titanicfan

Can I just ask another dim question regarding wills? Can I order a will from the relevant county record office (Kent) instead or is it better to order from York?

Colin Moretti

Quote Originally Posted by Titanicfan View Post
    ... Can I order a will from the relevant county record office (Kent) instead or is it better to order from York?
    Post 1858 wills are not retained by record offices but by the Probate Service, although some county ROs have indexes to wills for residents of the county. I'm not certain but they may be held by the regional probate office where the will was proved.

See also https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=219

It's much easier to apply to York.

Also, what is the difference between probate and a will?
    The will is the document with the testator's instructions about what is to be done after their decease, probate is the process by which the will is legally declared (proved) to be the true will of the deceased. The will can be written at any time in the testator's lifetime after coming of age (servicemen were allowed to write one at any age if on active service, I believe), it can only be proved by the executor(s) named in the will after the death of the testator.

Colin

Reputation beyond repute

If you're talking about a post-1858 will, County Record Offices will not be able to help at all. All documents are with the Probate Service.

If you live in Middlesex the easiest options are:

1. Go to High Holborn in person. There is a one hour service and you can bring the will home with you. While you're there you also search the calandars for other people you might be interested in (if you felt like it, you could offer lookups for us as well ). If you find that the person died intestate, there's no point ordering anything because the details of the administration in the calendar will tell you everything you need to know.

2. Deal with York by post. I believe that the turnround is not quick.

If you're talking about a pre-1858 will, completely different considerations apply.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    2. Deal with York by post. I believe that the turnround is not quick.
    I think I'm on record somewhere on the forum as saying that York are very slow - i.e. about 6 weeks, if I remember correctly. I ordered another one a couple of months ago, and I think it was only about 2 weeks. In other words, it seems to be rather variable.

Arthur

Titanicfan

Thanks for all the helpful info. everyone. I will have to use the York post service because I am unable to travel anywhere to carry out any research. I think I will order the original facsimile of the will (if one exists) rather than the copies of manuscripts or typescript record copies so that there will be no transcription errors and hopefully a reasonable quality copy! I wish that I could offer 'outside' lookups but unfortunately I am unable to.