initial

Default Incorrect maiden name on birth certificate

Hi everyone

I obtained a birth certificate for my great grandfather Francis Wiilkins with the mothers maiden name of Moon ( the registra had difficulty reading the name, which i've posted before )
    I had difficulty in finding his fathers marriage -william wilkins = Mary Moon about 1835 so i decided to buy another certificate of francis 's sister Fanny Wilkins -mothers maiden name Moor. ( this one is a scan of the original )

I asked the new registra to check on francis's birth to clarify wether the mothers maiden name is Moon or Moor -definately Moor she said.
    Does anyone know if i can have a new brth certificate for Francis free of charge or would i have to pay again ?

Thanks

Phill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If it has been confirmed that his mother's maiden name is definitely Moor whilst the certificate you received incorrectly says Moon on it then you can have a new certificate issued free of charge by the same office that issued the original one.
    I had a similar query with one of my uncle's certificate - can't remember precisely but it may have been they put the address as 4 and it should have been 14 - and got a free replacement.
    The error is theirs, not yours.
    Pam

v.wells

Phone them and explain the difficulty in reading the maiden name and that you would like a replacement copy with the correct name.

initial

They were different offices,the first certificate i got, the registrar was the only person to look at the details, so i had to rely on her interpretation of the entry.
    They keep moving the records around, they're now back at the original office and scanned to computer so the second certificate is a scan of the original entry, the other registrar checked on a few siblings for me and said they were all moor not moon
    i'll have to give them a call and try my luck.
    it just shows how easy mistakes are made

phill

DONNAMCKENZIE

I got my grandmothers birth cert from gro last year. It says she was born 6th January 1901. Then a couple of weeks ago I found her lost children-well their children and they had the original. They scanned it to me and to my surprise it clearly says 6th july 1901. I think sometimes the certs are hit and miss. Another cert says Gaye instead of Gage.

initial

hi donna

yes, i think probably half of us are researching the wrong family tree at times.
    it's so easy to get sent up the wrong street if your not careful, i suppose its the amateur comming out, just because all the dates fit and the name appears to be right we just assume were on the right track.

but it's good fun, eh

phill