Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Joanne Royle

Smile stumped can't find birth for my grans brother

Hi all, well I'm truly stumped. I'm still looking for my grans brother. I have written on paper that my great grandmother had my gran may and william her married name was dean maiden name walmsley first name rebecca. she married a samuel dean in chorlton which comes under manchester lancashire. I have not been able to find anything I have no idea if william was older than my gran. i have a photo of what I think is him in royal flying corp uniform and a william charles dean died whilst serving in the first world war 1916 but no idea if this is indead my man or if william had a middle name at all.I did wonder if mr samuel dean had been married before perhaps and william was his son by his first marriage. they would have lived in failsworth manchester If anyone can shed any light on my dilema I would be eternally grateful

Joanne Royle

Default sorry forgot

H all, marriage was in 1904 sorry i forgot to mention Joanne x

bumblebee

Hi Joanne

If you can purchase a copy of the marriage certificate, it should tell you if Samuel Dean was a bachelor or widower when he married Rebecca.

Bumblebee

ash33au

Marriages by Samuel Dean in Lancashire from 1870 to 1910... these are not the only records, but are the ones I can find so far.

Spouse: SARAH GILLARD
    Marriage: 25 OCT 1874 Manchester, Lancashire, England
    Husband Age at Marriage: 19
    Wife Age at Marriage: 20

Spouse: MARY ELLEN RICKETTS
    Marriage: 07 FEB 1876 Saint Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Spouse: Mrs Martha Dean
    Marriage: About 1878 Manchester, Lancashire, England

Spouse: Sarah Ellen Burnett
    Marriage: 20 NOV 1897 Burnley, Lancashire, England

ash33au

William H. DEAN
    b.About 1872 Stockport, Lancashire, England
    Father: Samuel Dean
    Mother: Isabella (nee Redford)

WILLIAM HENRY DEAN
    Birth: 15 DEC 1872
    Christening: 20 JUL 1873 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    Father: SAMUEL DEAN
    Mother: EMMA

William DEAN
    b.1880 Tonge, Lancashire, England
    Father: Samuel Dean
    Mother: Sarah

Joanne Royle

Smile can't find a marriage

Hi all, thanks for them, I've made a note and will check on those on census this saturday
    i am limited to what i can look at not being a member of ancestry, I can do it at my local archives, i'll keep you posted which is the right one, if you know any others let me know kind regards Joanne x

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Joanne & Ash,
    I suspect that Ash has been searching the IGI for marriages. However the IGI is a very far complete record of BMDs, especially when you get to 1850 onwards.
    What needs to be searched is the GRO Index.The full Index is available on some (online) commercial sites, but an ever-growing free version is available via FreeBMD. This is an on-going project though, and you cannot assume that all the pages for all the years have been transcribed. It is extremely helpful when looking for marriages as it lists the people on the same page as your man (or woman!). However, do bear in mind the 'not-yet-complete' bit especially when there is/are one or three names on a page - that means there is one name still to be transcribed.
    Some counties also have online BMD records. https://www.ukbmd.co.uk/
    Select the county you want, then click on the word 'county'. Again, most of the counties are still a work in progress, but they often contain different information to the GRO Index. Note that the reference numbers are not interchangeable, so don't panic because one says 1a 2345 and the other says ANY/1/678E.
    The Index is often available at county Record Offices and city libraries. Full list here

Joanne, if you haven't got the marriage certificate of Samuel and Rebecca, then it would be a very good idea to send for it. As well as saying whether Samel is a bachelor or a widower, it will also give information such as ages, father's names and occupations.
    I find this site invaluable for information about BMD certificates.
    And once you know Samuel and Rebecca's ages and father's names you should hopefully be able to find them on at least the 1891 and 1901 census.

Re the William Charles who died in the war, what other details do you know about him? Age? Address? Any parents listed? Wife? Was he definitely in the Flying Corps?
    When did the Royal Flying Corps cease to exist as the RFC and become the RAF? That might help to determine during which years the photo could have been taken.
    Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

The RAF was established 1st April 1918 according to the Imperial War Museum Site https://www.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.2556 This has a few links where records can be found.

ash33au

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Joanne & Ash,
    I suspect that Ash has been searching the IGI for marriages. However the IGI is a very far complete record of BMDs, especially when you get to 1850 onwards.
    That was one of the places I searched, whilst doing a whole heap of other stuff at the same time. It's at least a start and gives a litle idea of what to look for...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by ash33au View Post
    That was one of the places I searched, whilst doing a whole heap of other stuff at the same time. It's at least a start and gives a litle idea of what to look for...
    Hi Ash,
    I wasn't being critical of your effort , just trying to point out that because the IGI is so incomplete after 1850 that the GRO Index (and by default FreeBMD, although that is also incomplete) is a much better place to search for this time period.
    Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast