Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CHARLES SMITH

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann65 View Post
    PS I dont know. the story of Richards sickness all night and pain and vomiting everywhere, I think Id rather get a hammer in the skull (as long as he did that first, although I bet he didnt.)

The only thing I do know is I went to the Colindale Newspaper Library (then in Hendon) to read up the reports of her trial and execution. The report of the latter was pretty harrowing - back in the days before carefully measured long drops, the victim slowly strangled, and apparently Calcraft put the noose about her back to front with the knot under her chin. The report said 'The dying womans struggles were protracted'. I felt terribly sad for her.

Hmmmmmm, I might just give you the edge on that one, but I have to say I don't fancy either method hehe!!

BG

A fountain of knowledge.

Well, given the choice I think we'd all go quietly in our sleep

Well, given the choice I think we'd all go quietly in our sleep
    very true!!!

I would imagine this is to do with Wisdom Smith who married Priscilla Bagley.

Wesdon (as hes been transcribed in 1861 at Headington Ox) b.1823 Short Hampton Ox
    Precilla wife b.1821 Brackley Nthants
    Sampson son 18
    Ann S dtr 17
    Patience dtr 15
    Ocean dtr 13
    Luerritia dtr 11
    Wesdon son 9
    Mary A dtr 4
    Jemima dtr 1
    You're quite right Ann. I've just received Charles Smith & Lucy Austins marriage certifcate. They married at Tetsworth, near Thame, Oxon on 9th December 1861.

Lucys father was named as William Austin, chairbottom maker and Charles gave his father as a Robert Bagley, wire work maker. This would have meant that Charles was actually a Bagley, not a Smith as he referred to himself as, how confusing and therefore, as you say Priscilla's sister. Priscilla being married to Wisdom Smith (b 1830). Hallelujah!! I've finally made the connection. I knew there was a connection to Wisdom, I just couldn't work out which one!!!

BG

A fountain of knowledge.

One of those "WOOP WOOP" moments!! Glad you got it worked out. The Smiths have driven me slowly mad I think - Ive had to take a couple of months break from FH my brain was simply overloading I think. I shall be back when I can get me head around it again!!

Ann xxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12