Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    melsibob

Default People's comments please

My paternal great grandmother was Minnie Page (nee Hodgson).Her marriage certificate indicates that her father was called Joseph Hodgson. When searching for Joseph in census I discovered he was consistently recorded as Joe Hodgson. I sent for his marriage cetificate - this quotes Joe Hodgson (as opposed to Joseph. His father is named as George. The census and certificates indicate he was born c1849. I ordered Joe's birth certificate in an attempt to confirm his parents names. The certificate arrive today which quotes the father's name as Charles and his mother as Mary. My first thoughts were that I had ordered the wrong certificate - but I can't find Joe on a census prior to his marriage - unless his father is in fact Charles. Nor can I find another birth reference either.

The family are from the Park area of Sheffield, Joe being a Spring Maker. 1871 census ref RG10; Piece: 4687; Folio: 55; Page: 1;

Do people think I have the wrong birth certificate?

v.wells

The marriage witnessses - were they family members. Sometimes that is another avenue to try to confirm the facts. Joseph's father could be Charles George Hodgson. I am looking to see if I can find something.

Did you order Minine Paige's b cert? - that will give parents names.
    Last edited by v.wells; 07-07-2008 at 9:08 PM. Reason: Added last line

ET in the USA

This is rather vague since I don't have A** except at the library & I'm at home, but ...

in 1861 there is a George Hodgson born abt 1804 [in some city] Yorkshire, England [relation not shown] Living in [some city,] Yorkshire but he is household schedule # 118.

Also on 1861 census is Joseph Hodgson born abt 1848 [city] Yorkshire, England [relation] [city,] Yorkshire also household number 118.

Have you looked at this one ? Is Charles still the father ?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by melsibob
    My paternal great grandmother was Minnie Page (nee Hodgson).Her marriage certificate indicates that her father was called Joseph Hodgson.
    When was Minnie born? From later census returns, where was she born?

Was her birth registered?

If so, do you have a copy of her birth certificate and what does that record?

Are you working on the basis that your family is shown in 1891 at
    RG12/3826 f100 p22

v.wells

Your 1871 census shows a Lucy Hodgson just above Joe and she appears in 1891 census with Minnie Hodgson sis in law RG12/4078/33/45.

1861 RG9/3404/62/17 George Hodgson Head, Sarah Wife and son Joe at same address. Joe age 11.

I think you have the wrong marriage cert.

ET in the USA

In 1851 there is a Joseph Hodgson born abt 1848 , age 3, with someone named Charles Hodgson born abt 1850 in the same household & another Joseph age 7 mo (born abt 1850) but I'm unable to tell a relationship or name of the head, etc. Perhaps the 3 year old is visiting relatives ?

Geoffers

Further to my last, if the 1891 census I found is correct, it contains a useful nugget:

Sam HODGSON, boarder, 38, widr, Brewer's labourer, bn Sheffield

Note that it does not record 'brother', but boarder. They may well still be related, but possibly cousins??

Now in 1861:

RG9/3481 f77 p22
    2, Cotton Mill Walk, Sheffield
    George HODGSON, hd, widr, 57, Engine Tenter, bn Hoyland
    George, son, unm, 18, engine fitter, bn Sheffield
    Sarah, dau, unm, 15, housekeeper, bn Sheffield
    Joseph, brother, unm, 44, labr, bn Hoyland
    Joseph, nephew, 13, apprentice to engine tenter, bn Sheffield
    Samuel, nephew, 8, scholar, bn Sheffield

Could Joseph, the nephew have been brought up by his uncle and come to regard him as his father? Perhaps Charles was his actual dad and had popped his clogs, or whatever?

A search of the 1851 census, looking for some of the above may help to clarify things. Perhaps a search of all HODGSONs living in Hoyland in 1841 may prove useful?

I would not dismiss the certificate mentioning Charles at the moment; there is a good deal of searching needed to show what may have happened.

v.wells

I have to agree with Geoffers on not dismissing the certificate mentioning Charles.

There are an awful lot of Hodgsons and I was looking for the spring maker occupation as a guide but got lost in the process. Sorry.

It would probably be best starting with Minnie and working backwards or another of the known siblings. The naming situation in that era is quite awful and does add to the challenge. It's good to get fresh eyes hunting Melsibob. Our super sleuths will dig up the right stuff, I'm positive - I'm still a novice at it!

melsibob

Thanks everyone - I don't have Minnie's birth certificate as I had identified her parents. When trying to trace back Joe's family I hit a brick wall - and therefore hoped to move it forward when I ordered his birth certificate - I didn't expect to be confused even further. I have a feeling - not supported by any firm evidence - that I have the correct birth certificate- call it female intuition - or maybe I just don't like being proved wrong! I will look again at people's suggestions. I may order Minnie's birth cerifificate but I am not convinced that would move me on much further.

melsibob

Geoffers - yes that is the correct census return

The marriage certifcate gives the grooms parents as witnessses

I found Minnie in the 1901 census -living with her husband Arthur Page - also living with them was Minnie's brother George H Hodgson. I traced these back and found Minnie and George living with their parents Joe and Lucy.

Apart from ordering Minnie's birth certificate - what would be the best next step please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast