Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Copper

Free BMD has these deaths

1854 Jun Bury 8c 257, Elizabeth Fitton

1856 Sep Oldham 8d 394, Elizabeth Fitton

Copper

You will have endless fun if you search on the Lancs BMD site. I found these marriages there

Robert Fitton = Betty Burrows in St Mary, Prestwich, register in Bury

Robert Fitton = Mary Mosley in St mary, Prestwich, register in Bury

OOOooo I am so excited I think I have cracked it.

Again this is on the Lancs BMD site
    Births

1849 George Fitton BURROWS, mother's maiden name BURROWS. Registered in the sub-district of Prestwich. Register in Bury.

He should be in the GRO index as Burrows.
    Last edited by Copper; 06-07-2008 at 4:41 PM. Reason: More info

Mahala

That looks very promising Copper!!!

sqool

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    You will have endless fun if you search on the Lancs BMD site. I found these marriages there

Robert Fitton = Betty Burrows in St Mary, Prestwich, register in Bury

Robert Fitton = Mary Mosley in St mary, Prestwich, register in Bury

OOOooo I am so excited I think I have cracked it.

Again this is on the Lancs BMD site
    Births

1849 George Fitton BURROWS, mother's maiden name BURROWS. Registered in the sub-district of Prestwich. Register in Bury.

He should be in the GRO index as Burrows.
    Hello, Copper. That is most interesting. You may well have cracked it :-)

I found two of his sister's birth dates, Harriet Fitton in 1856, & Ada Ann Fitton in 1864.
    Their birth certificates give the mother as "Mary Mosley" (Harriet) & "Mary Mousely" (Ada Ann).
    So Robert Fitton's marriage in 1855 to Mary Mosley in St Mary, Prestwich (registered in Bury) would seem to fit.

From that, a previous marriage to Betty Burrows in St Mary, Prestwich in 1850, would seem to indicate that Betty is George's mother. Which would concur with the 1851 census (HO 107/2232) showing the family living in Rooden Lane, Prestwich. George is shown as being 2 (years old) & his mother as Betty Fitton.

I've found two entries in the BMD for death of Betty Fitton in 1853, both registered in Bury
    in March & September of that year. So it's possible one of the entries was her, & Robert married Mary two years later.

An entry in the 1861 census R.G.9 /2856 shows George listed as "George B. Fitton".
    The "B" is dropped in later census records, nor does it appear in the 1851 record.
    I wondered why the "B" was there, & now you've found it stood for "Burrows".

I can understand him being called George Burrows FITTON, but not George Fitton BURROWS.. No wonder I couldn't find him!
    As he was born in 1849, but Robert didn't marry Betty Burrows until 1850......it would seem that Robert Fitton adopted him?

Best wishes,

Geoff.

Copper

I hope that this does not upset you but the name he was registered with suggests that Robert Fitton was his father.

I have some illegitimate people in my tree and they were given the surname of their natural father as a middle name.

sqool

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    I hope that this does not upset you but the name he was registered with suggests that Robert Fitton was his father.

I have some illegitimate people in my tree and they were given the surname of their natural father as a middle name.
    No, not at all. You've been most helpful, Copper, thank you. :-)

Copper

I am so pleased that I could help. Now if only I could break down some of my own brickwalls - sigh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12