shirtylady

Default MARRIAGE ISAAC HARRISON TO SARAH REED

I am trying to find marriage of Isaac Harrison to Sarah Reed circa 1861 to 1871. Isaac had first marriage in 1854, but first wife died, then he remarried later to Sarah. He is shown on the 1861 census alone, but in 1871 is shown as married to Sarah. They lived in the Aston/Deritend district of Birmingham. I have searched most of the records on line with no luck.
    Is there anyone with access to Parish records for around that time.

Shirtylady.

bumblebee

There is an Isaac Harrison with a Sarah Spencer on the same page, 1870 Q4 West Bromwich 6b 1137

Can I ask how you know her name is Reed.

Bumblebee

shirtylady

Default Harrison/Reed

Hi Bumblebee,

Thanks for your reply.

The name of Reed (My Gt.Grandmother) is on my Grandfather's birth certificate. He was born in in 1873.

Isaac had been married before to a Louisa Shorthouse (daughter Emily), but she died in childbirth. It has been suggested that Isaac married again quite quickly, so whether this could be the second marriage, I'm not sure There could then have been a third marriage. I am trying to find the birth of a William Harrison on the 1871 census, where there is a Sarah as wife listed. (I have acquired one certificate but this was the wrong William). The place of birth for Sarah is shown as Birmingham, whereas my Sarah Reed was born in Middlesex. I am wondering if there were two Sarah's in fact. The ages of the children on the 1871 census do seem far apart. There is a Jane (daughter) on the same census who I know was my Sarah's daughter, she would have been born around 1866.

Thanks for your comments, it has certainly made me think that maybe there was another marriage. I will investigate.

Thanks again.

Shirtylady.

bumblebee

So is this the 1871 census?

Birmingham,
    14 Balsall Street

All born Birmingham

Emily Harrison 15
    Isaac Harrison 39 Head, Jappaner,
    Jane Harrison 5
    Sarah Harrison 33 Wife,
    William Harrison 13

RG10; Piece: 3106; Folio: 128; Page: 27;

I think this is the same man in 1861, on his own but census says married.

Aston, Birmingham,

Alfred Harrison 28 Brother,
    Eliza Harrison 25 Sister,
    Emily Harrison 5 Daughter,
    Isaac Harrison 30 Married, Head, Paper Machie Jappaner
    William O or A Harrison 3 Son

Piece: 2170; Folio: 29; Page: 6;

Bumblebee

bumblebee

This family are living at 14 Balsall Street in 1881 (same as the family in 1871)

Isaac has gone from being a Jappaner to a Hairdresser?

Bernard F. Harrison 4
    David J. Harrison 9
    Emily L. Harrison 26
    Isaac Harrison age obliterated by a blob, Head,
    Isaac H. Harrison 6
    Jane R. Harrison 15
    Reuben B. Harrison 7
    Samuel Harrison 1
    Sarah Ann Harrison 41 Wife, born London,

RG11; Piece: 2985; Folio: 31; Page: 4;

Bumblebee

bumblebee

So could this be William A - William Alexander Harrison, 1858 Q4 Aston Warwickshire
    6d 249

Just wondered if this was the William A on the 1861 census if it would give another MMN.
    If Louisa died after giving birth to Emily, Williams birth reg. might shed some light on things.

Bumblebee

shirtylady

I do have copies of the census details you listed.

You are quite right it is the same family.

The 1861 shows Isaac as Married, which is why I am querying whether he remarried after his first wife died. However, his wife was probaby absent due to hospitalisation or perhaps visiting relatives.

I do have an 1861 census which shows a Sarah Reed and Jane Reed (sisters) living in the same area in Birmingham, with Sarah shown as being born in London.

Her sister Jane was born in Tunbridge Wells. This is the right family as the names show up on an earlier census with the Reed family. On a later census Sarah is shown as wife, with a daughter named Jane R, who I assume was named after her sister.

I wonder if Isaac married her the same year, or was it another lady, and he married Sarah at a later date.

I think a trip to Birmingham is called for where I can delve into Parish Records.

Thanks for your help.

Shirtylady.

shirtylady

Default William A Harrison

Hi, forgot to mention that I had already obtained the birth certificate of William Alexander Harrison, but it wasn't the correct William - different parents. This is one of my spare certificates.

Thanks again for all your help.

Shirtylady.