Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mahala

Default Death certificate from records office

I have a death certificate from the GRO for my 4xgt-grandmother but I have my doubts about one piece of information on it. If I were to order the same certificate from the local records office, would it also be a transcript or would it be a photocopy of the original? Would it depend on the records office? This one is for Kent.

Thank you for any help.

jane.harrison.9

Hi Mahala,
    I think it's a bit hit and miss.
    I have copies from local records offices that are transcripts , but this week I got a copy of my gg grandmothers death cert that a US cousin had ordered from the GRO and that was a photocopy of the original entry.

Jan1954

What is your area of doubt on the certificate?

Mahala

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    What is your area of doubt on the certificate?
    The certificate I have says ‘widow of William’, but my 4x-gt-grandmother’s husband was Edmund.

I’m fairly certain this death certificate in 1866 is for her – it’s the right name, the right location (the workhouse in Linton) and the right age (90). I’ve ruled out other certificates for the same name between 1851 and 1871, and I didn’t find a marriage for her after she was widowed in 1858.

My two remaining ideas are to try to get a copy the original death certificate, in case there was a transcription error, and also to find a record of her burial.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Who was the informant on the certificate? Also, what is their relationship to the deceased? And we might as well go for broke and ask for the address in relation to Martha's address.
    Pam

GRHughes

Could it be something simple such as the husband's first name was Edmund and his second name was William by which he was known? I have had a number of these in my family.

The informant may only have known her late husband as William and therefore given his name as such?

Mutley

GRHugheshas made a valid point. I know that my death certificate will not have my birth name on it.

Pam Downes has asked the questions that may help to decide if Edmund is really William. Though if it is an institution it will not give family names or a home address.

Do you have anything on Edmund that may give you a clue to a W in his name. You do not say when and where in Kent. Would CityArk help you out at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Who was the informant on the certificate? Also, what is their relationship to the deceased? And we might as well go for broke and ask for the address in relation to Martha's address.
    Pam
    Mahala
    Sorry, just to clarify - what is the address of the informant?
    Pam

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Mahala
    Sorry, just to clarify - what is the address of the informant?
    Pam
    In an institution the informant is often the head or another member and the address is the institution. Let's hope Mahala gets lucky....

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    In an institution the informant is often the head or another member and the address is the institution. Let's hope Mahala gets lucky....
    But on the other hand, the head or another member of the institution is perhaps less likely to know to know the husband's name, and therefore perhaps more likely to give an incorrect one.
    Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast