Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mahala

Hi everyone:

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    In an institution the informant is often the head or another member and the address is the institution. Let's hope Mahala gets lucky....
    Not lucky! The informant was Frederick Baker, master of the Union Workhouse at Linton, where Mary died.

I haven't found any record yet that would indicate a W. or William for Edmund's middle name, but he did have a son named William.

When she died Mary was age 90 and her husband and known children (to me at least!) had all predeceased her. It's possible Frederick had forgotten or didn't know who the dear old lady's husband was.

I might try my luck with the Maidstone records office.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahala View Post
    Hi everyone:

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions!

Not lucky! The informant was Frederick Baker, master of the Union Workhouse at Linton, where Mary died.

I haven't found any record yet that would indicate a W. or William for Edmund's middle name, but he did have a son named William.

When she died Mary was age 90 and her husband and known children (to me at least!) had all predeceased her. It's possible Frederick had forgotten or didn't know who the dear old lady's husband was.

I might try my luck with the Maidstone records office.
    Even if you've got a Mary Smith, how many 90 year-old Mary Smiths are going to be in the right place at the same time?
    And confused old lady talking about 'my William' - unless a listener actually asked, they would probably assume that 'my William; was her husband.
    I would certainly send an email to Kent Registration Service (who now hold the registers) asking if it is at all possible for them to double check the entry. Quote the entry number and all the other details, because that will prove that you do have the certicate and are not just fishing for information.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/regoff.html#564
    Pam

Mahala

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    Even if you've got a Mary Smith, how many 90 year-old Mary Smiths are going to be in the right place at the same time?
    And confused old lady talking about 'my William' - unless a listener actually asked, they would probably assume that 'my William; was her husband.
    Pam
    I never thought of it that way, Pam.

Thanks for the tips about the certificate - I'll get an email off to the Kent Registration Service and maybe I'll get lucky!

Geoffers

Do any records for the workhouse survive (e.g. admission register, burial register) which may clarify things?

How many women are there of the same name and very approximately the same age (+/- 10 years) shown in the 1861 census?

Mahala

Hi Geoffers:

In census records I haven't found any other Mary even close to that age in Kent. There was one in Greenwich who was 12 years younger but her husband wasn't William. In 1841/1851/1861 I haven't found any possible Wm/Mary.

There aren't any surviving admissions records for the Maidstone Union Workhouse but there are burial records that I can get through the LDS. I'm hoping either a burial record or an original death certificate may give me an answer.

I'd love to put this little lady to rest knowing she's MY Mary!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Mahala
    In census records I haven't found any other Mary even close to that age in Kent.
    Good, that doesn't exclude this lass as being yours.

There aren't any surviving admissions records for the Maidstone Union Workhouse
    mmmm, pity.

but there are burial records that I can get through the LDS.
    This may help provide confirmation. Workhouse burial registers that I have seen from Norfolk record the parish from which a person was admitted and where the person was buried; there is also an occasional note 'taken by relatives' or similar, and very rarely the name of a relative or friend who took the body for burial. so the register may help to provide further circumstantial evidence to support your theory.

Mahala

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Workhouse burial registers that I have seen from Norfolk record the parish from which a person was admitted and where the person was buried; there is also an occasional note 'taken by relatives' or similar, and very rarely the name of a relative or friend who took the body for burial.
    I'll be very happy if the records have some of this information!

I wasn't sure if the workhouse would have had its own cemetery so hopefully I'll find out, at the very least, where Mary was buried.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12