Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
    Settling in

Hi jes285

Tried to send you some info, but b-g.com is being difficult.

Settling in

Hi jes285,

Well I think that brief reply to you got sent.

I'll have to try again tomorrow, but it's a lot of typing for the website to blow me out at the end :¬(

Basically, I found the 1830 marriage entry for Barnett & Maria plus seven others you may be interested in and also nine birth entries that could be your family, too. Sorry to be vague right now, but I don't have time to type it all in again tonight.

Theresa

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Theresa. I know how frustrating that can be.
    I look forward to receiving the info.

Julie

Settling in

Hi Julie,

I have two books, both by Harold & Miriam Lewin, covering marriage records of the Great Synagogue 1791-1885 and birth records of the Great & Hambro Synagogues for the late 18th and early 19th centuries. These are the entries I found that I thought might be of interest to you:

First the marriages, starting with the one you already have:

1830 May 11: groom Barnet COLEMAN, father Kalonymus KALMAN; groom's patronymic Dov Baer b. Kalonymus Kalman; groom's address not recorded; bride Maria ISAACS, father Yaakov, bride's patronymic Merla b. Yaakov; bride's address not recorded.

1826 June 26: groom Coleman COLEMAN, father Eliezer; groom's patronymic Klonymus Kalman b. Eliezer; groom's address not recorded; bride Frances HENRY, father Yitzhak; bride's patronymic Feigella b. Yitzhak; bride's address not recorded.

1832 September 16: bride Brinah COLEMAN, father Kalonymus KELMAN; bride's patronymic Breina b. Kalonymus Kalman; bride's address not recorded; groom Joseph JACOBS, father Yaakov; groom's patronymic Moshe Yosef Yozpa b. Yaakov; groom's address not recorded.

1841 June 23: groom Jacob COLEMAN (minor [i.e. under 21]), father Coleman COLEMAN; groom's patronymic Akiva b. Klonymus; groom's address 9 Freemans St, Tenter Gnd; bride Isabella LYONS, father Benjamin LYON; bride's patronymic Brendel b. Binyamin Zev; bride's address 24 Wentworth St.

1847 February 17: groom Israel COLEMAN, father Woolf COLEMAN (deceased); groom's patronymic Yisrael Binyamin b. Klonymus Kalman; groom's address 25 Aldgate; bride Julia COHEN, father Moses COHEN; bride's patronymic Gitcha b. Moshe Hacohen; bride's address 4 Butlers Bldgs, Uppr East Smithfield.

1850 July 24: bride Rebecca COLEMAN, father Coleman COLEMAN; bride's patronymic Rivka b. Klonymus; bride's address 28 Sandy Rw, Christchurch, Spitalflds; groom Abraham BARNETT, father Eleazer BARNETT; groom's patronymic Avraham b. Eleazer; groom's address 27 Sandy Rw, Christchurch, Spitalflds.

1859 May 22: bride Hannah COLEMAN, father Barnett COLEMAN; bride's patronymic Hannah b. Yissachar Baer; bride's address 14 Princes St, Mile End New Town; groom Judah LEWIS, father Barnett LEWIS (deceased); groom's patronymic Yehuda b. Baruch; groom's address 14 Princes St, Mile End New Town.

1867 July 14: groom Isaac COLEMAN, father Barnett COLEMAN; groom's patronymic Yitzhak b. Dov; groom's address 7 Sandys Row, Bishopsgate; bride Betsey LEVY, father Mark LEVY (deceased); bride's patronymic Bilah b. Mordecai; bride's address 7 Sandys Row.

Births that looked like they might attach to one of the above marriages were:

1842 Aug 30 Esther born to Coleman & Frances COLEMAN;
    1848 Jun 16 - Sarah born to Israel & Julia COLEMAN;
    1849 Sep 12 - Hannah born to Coleman & Frances COLEMAN;
    1849 Oct 19 - Elizabella born to Israel & Julia COLEMAN;
    1853 Jan 21 - Elizabeth born to Israel & Julia COLEMAN;
    1853 Feb 04 - Coleman born to Abraham & Rebecca BARNETT;
    1855 Apr 09 - Leah born to Israel & Julia COLEMAN;
    1856 May 04 - Miriam born to Abraham & Rebecca BARNETT;
    1869 Jun 26 - Maria born to Isaac & Betsey COLEMAN.

On Ancestry.co.uk, I found census records for 1841 for Barnet & Maria [+ Lewis (15), Isaac (5) and Hannah (2)], in 1851 for Barnet & Maria [+ Lewis (19), Isaac (16), Hannah (10) and John (6)] and in 1861 for Barnet & Maria [+ Jacob (16)]. I know you'd put that Barnet died between 1851 and 1861, but there's a possible death for a Barnett COLEMAN 1862Q3 Registration District Whitechapel Volume 1C Page 241.

I hope some of this might prove useful and doesn't duplicate too much of what you already knew. Good luck.

Theresa

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow! Thank you Theresa.

That's going to take a while to process. I've been struggling to get to grips with the Hebrew names but this definitely gives me something to work with.

I went back to the death certificate of Barnet and he definitely is the death in 1862 which is a start.

I think I'll have to go to the Tower Hamlets record office for a day and see if I can fill in some gaps.

ckidder

Hi Debbie,
    I'm looking for the birth record/circumcision record for my 3rd G-Grandfather, Lewis B. Levy, born in London in 1799 (I believe on July 10). I don't know the names of his parents, but they were born in Amsterdam, Holland according to his death certificate. He died in New York City in 1870. His father may have been one Joseph Levy. Have all the Synagogue records survived in London for this time period? Lewis B. Levy married Leah Reese/Rees/Reas, but I don't know if he did so in London or after he came to America. Their son, Moses Lewis Levy, was born circa 1827 in America. They also had a daughter, but I don't have her name or birth date. Thanks so very much for any help you can give me.

miriamjoyce21

Thank you Debbie for your generosity.
    The name I am chasing is Abrahams - A marriage between Soesman Abrahams and Sarah ( sorry no surname here as yet.)
    Their first child was born in 1829 so the date I am looking for is between 1825 - 1835.
    Soesman Hebrew name is Eliezer HaLevi His fathers name is Abraham Abrahams. He is born in 1806.
    Also a possible marriage is from the New Synagogue scribes is BSNSK 159 Marriage 1828 [Dec 3]
    Eliezer Lezer b. Abraham
    Sarah bat Isaac
    But no info on the mothers surname :-(
    I know its a long shot but any help is very muchly appreciated.
    Regards Miriam Rimmer - New to British Gen

Miriam
    I am replying to your post- Debbie is my Jacobs cousin. We are a small group of Jacobs cousins who have a website on our lines and several of us have met in London. Debbie has not responded to the list for some time and I am no longer in contact with her. Carol Freeman is another of my cousins and I did research on Miriam aka Minnie as posted on the George Henry Russell-Catherine Levy thread.
    You may want to post on British Jewry regarding Soesman and as you may know there were early posts on the Abrahams.
    Phillip

Miriam
    We are working across 3 threads hence my last post on the Soesman Abrahams thread- just in case you have not seen that post I advised you to buy the GRO Birth Record for Esther Abrahams b circa 1845 because this would give you the former or maiden name of her mother Sarah. I think that this is the best solution and don't believe that you will find any more data regarding the New Synagogue Marriage in 1828 cited in Synagogue Scribes records for potentially Soesman and Sarah- I could be wrong but suspect that the Ketubah or marriage contract will not contain any more details. The issuing of duplicate Ketubah with the particular congregation was not common place until post 1850s. It was not common to keep supporting documents for the early marriages. Your best bet in my view is the GRO Birth Record for Esther.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Hi Debbie, maybe you can your records for me.

I have Isaac Hart marrying Rachel Daniel on the 19th September 1810 at the Gt Synagogue simple enough but Isaac is listed as being the son of Yosela Hatter and Rachel father is given as Moishe Martin the Sephardi.. would love to know if you can add anything because Rachel Daniel ! strange (now we had the Toldedanos who were intermarried with the Martinez and they used the name Daniels)... thanks kevin

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast