dietabix

Default NO RECORD OF BIRTH, BUT KNOW WHEN HE WAS BORN

John Eaves born 13 July 1814 Billinge, Lancashire, as written in our Family Bible, but not able to find Birth Record, I think I have found Baptism on 31 July 1814, at St. Thomas the Martyr, Upholland, Lancashire, saying mother Mary Eaves. We have a John Eaves married to a Mary Green in the Bible, but no dates. Am I able to get Birth certificate with his birth date or not ?
    Would be glad of any help
    Sue

Jan1954

Hello Sue,

Civil registration did not begin in England and Wales until 1st July 1837, so you are out of luck, I am afraid.

You are fortunate that you have the record in the family bible. However, sometimes the parish clerk would also record the birth in the margin against the baptism.

Astoria

Default hello

Baptisms: 31 Jul 1814 St Thomas the Martyr, Upholland, Lancashire, England
    John Eaves - Child of Mary Eaves
    Abode: Billinge

Sorry, hit send too soon will add later.
    Last edited by Astoria; 30-06-2008 at 9:14 PM. Reason: Hit send too soon

MarkJ

The baptism you found only lists the mother? That could indicate an illegitimate birth perhaps.
    As Jan says, there will be no civil registration - so no certificates
    Have you seen the parish register entry yourself? There could be a note or comment which may clarify the father.
    If you have a look around the forum, you will find some pointers to the sorts of documents which may exist pertaining to illegitimate children - nearly all to do with who will pay for the childs upbringing - which may help you to sort the background out.

Mark

Edit: Astoria's information arrived as I was still typing So it would seem that John was illegitimate most likely.

dietabix

Big thanks to all, I think I shall have to try and visit the Church and see if I can look at the records Sue

MarkJ

They are unlikely to be at the church Sue - they will be in the County Record Office I expect. Perhaps someone with knowledge of that area will know the exact system used there, but a phone call to the County Record Office may be worth making first - to see if they have the parish records there.

Mark

dietabix

Thanks for that John, saved me a wasted journey.
    Sue

SeaCopRimmer

For the area mentioned the records may be held at Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston. Check their website to see if the church records you need are there. If you do decide to go make sure you have the appropriate identification with you so that you can get a Reader's Ticket because if you need to see the original registers you won't be able to get them on a 'temporary' day pass.
    Good hunting

jane.harrison.9

Heres a link that will give you some info on the church.

https://www.stthomasthemartyr.org.uk/home.htm

and details of parish records being transcribed.

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Upholland/stthomas/index.html

Jane

dietabix

Hi Guys
    Thanks soooooooooo much for all your help , I shall be looking into this over the next week