Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    v.wells

Seems we all have masochistic tendencies

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Seems we all have masochistic tendencies
    You can only speak for David and yourself, Vanessa. I only joined in the thread - not anything else.
    Pam

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    With apologies to David for going a little off-topic........
    If you mean the one with a pink background
    (a) if you follow the links to the BMD Index, then you just get directed to the link on the main page anyway
    and (b) I experimented and eventually clicked on 'public member photos for Thomas Empson'. The result was "We didn't find any strong matches, but these might still be helpful" followed by a drawing of the "English flag" (actually the Union Jack, though in fairness labelled English by a member of the public) and the comment that it was attached to 'Charles Francis Adams born 1807 ...and more'.
    I don't think I'll bother with their survey.

Pam
    I should have said : After you go to your tree and select the person you want it shows another tree and you have to clik on the person you want, select view profile (before you just clicked on the name) and when you select "search for historical info" at the top of the page is a "Try A's new search feature".

Sorry for going off topic again!

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    I should have said : After you go to your tree and select the person you want it shows another tree and you have to clik on the person you want, select view profile (before you just clicked on the name) and when you select "search for historical info" at the top of the page is a "Try A's new search feature".

Sorry for going off topic again!
    David's probably still too busy with the birch twigs and stinging nettles to notice.
    Haven't got my tree loaded on A... but as I said, I think I found the 'new search feature'. And hastily switched back to the old.
    Pam

websterbfc

Quote Originally Posted by websterbfc View Post
    ok got an email from GRO yesterday saying that info missing and they have refunded my £7.

i phoned them and the lady said that it is the district number that is missing and they have had quite a few cases of this recently from people getting the reference from A*******, she said i could get them to do a search for it which would take about 15 days or she would give me the telephone number of the register office where the death was registered. I took the number and phoned them, a very helpful lady there went and had a look for me, said that they had the original and gave me the reference i needed to quote if ordering it from them (which was the same ref as on A******) cert cost £7 but have to apply in writing and enclose a stamped address envelope.

I have done this and she said that they send the certs out by return of post so hopefully will get it by the end of the week.

Hope this is some help to you re your death cert

WELL WHAT FANTASTIC SERVICE!!

I posted my letter requesting the death cert at 4.30 on Tuesday and today when i got home from work the certificate was waiting for me

David Annis

Just to bring things to a conclusion.
    I received the certificate a few days later after the start of this posting. So it was not that difficult for them to find.
    Happily it answered a lot of questions and set me off on brand new trails to follow.
    John Thomas and John Brown, Shropshire's jam packed with them.
    Hey Ho.
    Cheers.
    Dave.
    PS. My John Brown, I have discovered in later census's has the wonderful second name of, "Castrey", never heard that name before. Is it well known ?
    Cheers
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by David Annis View Post
    PS. My John Brown, I have discovered in later census's has the wonderful second name of, "Castrey", never heard that name before. Is it well known ?
    Cheers
    Dave.
    Well after finding 22 in the 1871 census and 14 in the 1891 census I was going to write that they're an endangered species, but there's 42 by 1901.
    This might just be a case of better indexing, or it could be that there was something in the water.
    Pam

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234