Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    v.wells

I take from A except for Army BMD then I use FMP numbers. Sometimes I will use FMP to dble check the numbers if A is unclear, or I will use freebmd. I haven't had any problems so far (and I better not now I've mentioned it!). The new search facility is at the top of the person's page on your tree site. But if you don't use it then you aren't missing it

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    I take from A except for Army BMD then I use FMP numbers. Sometimes I will use FMP to dble check the numbers if A is unclear, or I will use freebmd. I haven't had any problems so far (and I better not now I've mentioned it!). The new search facility is at the top of the person's page on your tree site. But if you don't use it then you aren't missing it
    With apologies to David for going a little off-topic........
    If you mean the one with a pink background
    (a) if you follow the links to the BMD Index, then you just get directed to the link on the main page anyway
    and (b) I experimented and eventually clicked on 'public member photos for Thomas Empson'. The result was "We didn't find any strong matches, but these might still be helpful" followed by a drawing of the "English flag" (actually the Union Jack, though in fairness labelled English by a member of the public) and the comment that it was attached to 'Charles Francis Adams born 1807 ...and more'.
    I don't think I'll bother with their survey.

To get back on topic....
    Don't forget that David's query was about an entry for 1999 - for which you can't use FreeBMD. Were the certificates you recently ordered for 1984 onwards, because they are registered with slightly different details to those prior to that date. 1984-1992 inclusive has a 'Reg no.' in addition to the volume and page number. The 'Reg no' works on exactly the same basis as the 'Dor' - i.e. month and last two numbers of year so an entry for May 1989 would have a Reg no. of 589.

The district number was added to the GRO Index details for 1993 onwards.
    Pam

Guy Etchells

Quote Originally Posted by websterbfc View Post
    ok got an email from GRO yesterday saying that info missing and they have refunded my £7.

i phoned them and the lady said that it is the district number that is missing and they have had quite a few cases of this recently from people getting the reference from A*******, she said i could get them to do a search for it which would take about 15 days or she would give me the telephone number of the register office where the death was registered. I took the number and phoned them, a very helpful lady there went and had a look for me, said that they had the original and gave me the reference i needed to quote if ordering it from them (which was the same ref as on A******) cert cost £7 but have to apply in writing and enclose a stamped address envelope.

I have done this and she said that they send the certs out by return of post so hopefully will get it by the end of the week.

Hope this is some help to you re your death cert
    In view of the forced use of Ancestry and other third party indexes (due to the closure of the FRC) claim compensation of at least £50.00p for wasted time and expenses.
    Cheers
    Guy

David Annis

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    David the same numbers on FMP are exactly the same as A*'s #. Now I'm confused because I thought you typed in the Name of the District, but then I don't remember from the last time I ordered certs 6 weeks ago
    Ok. This is the information I had off A-----Y
    Please look this up for yourselves.
    England & Wales, Death Index: 1984-2007
    Dorothy Hannah Davies.
    15 Aug 1912.
    Jan 1999
    Age 86
    Reg Dis Kidderminster
    In Co. Worcestershire
    Reg num D
    Entry 49

All of this information was placed on the GRO form when I ordered the certificate.

But now I have read the small print at the bottom.It says you need the information found in an original index to request a copy of a death certificate for the individual referenced.

I suppose this is telling you to contact the BDM office in Reg District.
    (when all else fails, read the instructions)

Cheers.
    Dave.

David Annis

As a footnote.
    I would have thought that, GRO, A-----Y and all the others, would have a vested interest and some kind of input into this site.
    For surely "British-Genealogy" must be a seriously important site in the world of genealogy especially where the British Isles are concerned.
    If none of the suppliers of genealogy information can be bothered or even care to find out what their customers are saying or their requirements, what the hell are they charging fee's for.
    Cheers.
    Dave.

And well might you sign yourself 'Dave. '
    Quote Originally Posted by David Annis View Post
    Dorothy Hannah Davies.
    I'm surprised you managed to find an entry at all.
    I did manage to find an entry for a Dorothy Hannah Davis, and FMP do give the registration district number which, as stated previously, came into being in 1993.
    When you talk about the small print at the bottom "You need the information found in an original index to request a copy of a death certificate for the individual referenced" are you talking about that wording being at the bottom of the GRO order form, or being written under the search result box on A...?
    It's certainly written on A.... , and therefore in my opinion, A...'s 1993+ index is worthless. Wonder what Trading Standards would think because A... don't say that their index is incomplete compared to the other GRO indexes on their site. And the "You need the information etc" is to my mind just a statement of fact, not an indication that a vital piece of that information is missing.
    Pam

As a footnote.
    I would have thought that, GRO, A-----Y and all the others, would have a vested interest and some kind of input into this site.
    For surely "British-Genealogy" must be a seriously important site in the world of genealogy especially where the British Isles are concerned.
    If none of the suppliers of genealogy information can be bothered or even care to find out what their customers are saying or their requirements, what the hell are they charging fee's for.
    Cheers.
    Dave.
    A... DON'T care.
    Though in view of the fact that they advertise 'Complete BMD Indexes 1984-2005' perhaps they should. If part of the index is omitted, the index is not complete.
    Pam

David Annis

Dear Pam.
    The information was indeed from A-----y.
    I see I have done a typo. Register Number 39D.
    Dunce.
    As a penance I shall thrash myself with birch twigs and stinging nettles and wear the hair shirt my wife bought me for xmas.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Dear Pam.
    The information was indeed from A-----y.
    I see I have done a typo. Register Number 39D.
    Dunce.
    As a penance I shall thrash myself with birch twigs and stinging nettles and wear the hair shirt my wife bought me for xmas.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Didn't notice the register number.
    I meant the name. You put DaviEs, but the index entry only works if you input Davis.
    Pam

David Annis

Oh fiddlesticks.
    Damit your right.
    Smacking my legs right now.
    Cheers.
    Dave.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast