Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    websterbfc

that sounds like rubbish to me...i ordered a death cert from 2001 today with only the info on A******

i phoned gro to ask if i needed anything else an they said no

websterbfc

Quote Originally Posted by websterbfc View Post
    that sounds like rubbish to me...i ordered a death cert from 2001 today with only the info on A******

i phoned gro to ask if i needed anything else an they said no
    ok got an email from GRO yesterday saying that info missing and they have refunded my £7.

i phoned them and the lady said that it is the district number that is missing and they have had quite a few cases of this recently from people getting the reference from A*******, she said i could get them to do a search for it which would take about 15 days or she would give me the telephone number of the register office where the death was registered. I took the number and phoned them, a very helpful lady there went and had a look for me, said that they had the original and gave me the reference i needed to quote if ordering it from them (which was the same ref as on A******) cert cost £7 but have to apply in writing and enclose a stamped address envelope.

I have done this and she said that they send the certs out by return of post so hopefully will get it by the end of the week.

Hope this is some help to you re your death cert

v.wells

Sounds like some people are too lazy too look! Especially when the GRO supplied all the information to A* in the first place! The information wasn't retyped from GRO to A*. And scanning the typed information doesn't alter the information.

I would lay a complaint. I keep filling out their silly survey with the response that it takes too long to send certs overseas when regular mail from elsewhere in UK arrives in 8 days! For the fees that are charged they should do the blasted lookup themselves without additional charge to the patrons of the service they provide!

websterbfc

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Sounds like some people are too lazy too look! Especially when the GRO supplied all the information to A* in the first place! The information wasn't retyped from GRO to A*. And scanning the typed information doesn't alter the information.
    there is no scanned images for deaths as recent as 2001 on A*****, GRO said i should complian to A****** as they have not submitted all the info

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by websterbfc View Post
    there is no scanned images for deaths as recent as 2001 on A*****, GRO said i should complian to A****** as they have not submitted all the info
    I swear that A..... have altered their presentation in the last few days/weeks.
    I'm 99.9999% positive that I used to click on 'view record' on the right-hand side of the page, whereas now you click on the left-hand side of the age. And I'm also 99.9999% positive that A....never presented the result in the current way.
    Pam

David Annis

Thats it. The district number was missing, only this lady did not suggest that I telephoned the registry office it was logged with but to open an account with F M PAST and get the number from their records.
    She also said it may take three weeks to be delivered when I asked them to make the search.
    Cheers
    Dave.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I swear that A..... have altered their presentation in the last few days/weeks.
    I'm 99.9999% positive that I used to click on 'view record' on the right-hand side of the page, whereas now you click on the left-hand side of the age. And I'm also 99.9999% positive that A....never presented the result in the current way.
    Pam
    Pam are you using the "new search" or the regular one. They have changed some things. I tried the New search but didn't like how it presented so switched back and yes they have changed some things and haven't decided whether or not I like it.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by David Annis View Post
    Thats it. The district number was missing, only this lady did not suggest that I telephoned the registry office it was logged with but to open an account with F M PAST and get the number from their records.
    She also said it may take three weeks to be delivered when I asked them to make the search.
    Cheers
    Dave.
    David the same numbers on FMP are exactly the same as A*'s #. Now I'm confused because I thought you typed in the Name of the District, but then I don't remember from the last time I ordered certs 6 weeks ago

Pam are you using the "new search" or the regular one. They have changed some things. I tried the New search but didn't like how it presented so switched back and yes they have changed some things and haven't decided whether or not I like it.
    What 'new search'? I've got A.co.uk and can only see one version, in the same place it's always been.
    Have you got A.com with different versions?
    I did notice the other day that there is a note at the bottom of the box which says 'Please note there are no index images associated with births, marriages or deaths post 1983' but didn't take too much notice of it at the time because there never has been 'an image' of the page that you get with the pre-1984 entries.
    Um, might have to revise my comment about A. altering their presentation - certainly as far as the deaths are concerned. I now have a sneaky feeling that I haven't looked at the actual records pages for some while - I've tended to only need the index with name, birth date, district of death. I've never needed the full details to order a certificate.
    Pam

David the same numbers on FMP are exactly the same as A*'s #. Now I'm confused because I thought you typed in the Name of the District, but then I don't remember from the last time I ordered certs 6 weeks ago
    Vanessa,
    From which source do you normally take your GRO refs when you order certificates? FMP or A?
    In addition to what's given on A., FMP quote the district number and the 'Dor' - which I think is something like a shorthand code for month and year of registration. An entry for July 2001 has a Dor of 701, while a December 2001 event has a Dor of 1201. Mar 1999 says 399. Still don't know what 'Dor' stands for exactly -date of registration?? - but I've sussed the numbers.
    Pam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast