Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    aeracura

Default Newcastle Evening Chronicle Look up

Hi,

I know this is a very big ask, but if anyone is in Newcastle and can do a look up of an obituary notice in the 11th January 1902 edition for my great grandmother Isabella Fryer of New Delaval I would sincerely appreciate it. It would cost me in excess of 50GBP which is completely out of my budget in regards to the aussie dollar and exchange rates. The thing is, she may not be my great grandmother as we are turning up some interesting findings. I really want to know what her obituary says in regards to who she leaves behind. It's an enormous ask I know, so I understand if it's not possible but it's worth an ask

~ jo

Jan1954

Hi Jo,

If no-one is able to do this, you could also enquire as to whether or not she left a will.

Click for details of the Probate Office.

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Hi Jo

I've got a Phone number to ring but you will have to wait until Monday

Sandy

PS I've got family in Newcastle

aeracura

Oh thanks so much I doubt she left a will, I think they were quite poor. But I'll look into it. This side of the family has been so much harder for me to trace than the other. It's much easier to trace when there was money and land I've noticed!

Sandy you are wonderful

~ jo

wolfiesmith

Jo,
    Go to the rootschat website,
    Then go to England Counties, Northumberland, Looks Up Requests.
    You will see lots of requests for Evening Chronicle Death Notice lookups.
    There is chap on there, Grant, who is extremely helpful in answering these requests.
    Alan.

Mutley

As she was quite young, in her 20's do you know why she died?

It may have made another newspaper that someone has access to in a local library.

I think the Chronicle is also held in London at Collingwood.

aeracura

Mutley, I'm not entirely sure that she did die...well an Isabella Fryer died, but whether it was my great grandmother at that time I'm not so sure. I have a cousin who doesn't believe she did because she had a letter from her, when I asked to see the letter it just says from grandma. The reason that I am interested in finding out is because of the Walter that my Poppy always talked about as his brother. It was once I started researching that we found that Isabella never had a Walter. Now we know a Joseph Fryer married later and a Walter V was born. My cousin said she found a Walter Vivian Fryer somewhere and that he's probably related. Well dang! I'm sure he is because my Dad is Bruce Vivian Fryer.... nobody knows where the Vivian came from but probably his uncle. Now if I know what that obituary notice says I will know if it's the same family and the riddle will be solved. Funnily enough I'm finding it's easier piecing it all together in the 1600's than more recently! And thanks Alan, I'm on my way to your link now

brianb

Hi Jo

sorry to say, have searched many newspaper sites such as the Times etc but no mention (dont have links to Newcastle sorry).

However I did find an Isabella Fryer on the site below. May or may not be related to yours.

Regards

Brian

www.
    leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/handlists/134MS1701Harvey.pdf

aeracura

Thanks so much Brian,

That is a different Fryer family in the link you provided but I truly appreciate you trying! I'm not sure on the protocol of mentioning other sites here but it was genuki that brought up the link to the obituaries and told me that there was one from an Isabella Fryer on the date I mentioned. Because it was so specific I thought it could be fairly easy for anyone with access to that particular paper to find it. Fingers crossed

~ jo

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Newcastle Evening Chronicle Newspaper archives are at Newcastle Civic Center as Newcastle Library where they were kept is being pulled down. I'm awaiting e-mail from them with the Obituary for Isabella Fryer 1902. Will chase them again this afternoon to see what has happened.
    Sandy
    Have to go off to the Dentist now......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast