Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    MaisieM

Hi again Gaby
    My friend has come back with a translation (English isn't her first language)

"M. Rivka, bar Moshe (mosses) Israel who past away in Adar (Hebrew name for that month)
    the next 2 words I don't understand, than it says the age she was when she past away in the letters that symbolize the age of 61 (like a=1 b=2 c=3 but ) each letter in the alpha bet is a number,
    than there is a 4 letters at the bottom which is an abbreviation of something like rest her soul in peace."

I think I have something at home with the location of the grave on it, I'll check later this evening. If so, then I might be able to get someone to go and have a look for Lewis's plot (I haven't seen his headstone). Hopefully Morrie's birth certificate will arrive soon and give me another lead to follow!

CemeteryScribes

Hi

Ok, so now you know that Rebecca was Rivka daughter of Moshe. So when you come to look at marriages on Jewishgen it could help to determine if you have found the right one. Ideally you would want the same info for her husband Lewis.

Rivka is equivalent to Rebecca as Moshe is Moses.

As I administer the CemeteryScribes website I am familiar with how the Hebrew inscriptions work and yes Hebrew letters have a numerical equivalent for the want of a better explanation although sometimes they are written in words rather than in letters.

Have you looked around to see if Rebecca's father was in the UK as well? Can't remember now what his family name was but you would be looking for a Moses or similar.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678