Loves to help with queries

Question Wesleyan baptisms, marriages and burials

Do Wesleyan registers exist? I'm missing alot of baptisms of ancestors and they do not appear to be in their parish church registers. Many of their parents were married in the parish church with only one or two isolated cases marrying in their local chapels. Was it frowned upon not to baptise? Would it be possible they were never baptised at all?

Reputation beyond repute

What dates?

From TNA catalogue: "Various series of non-parochial registers deposited in the General Register Office since 1840 are in RG 4, RG 6, RG 7 and RG 8. Birth certificates from the Presbyterian, Independent and Baptist Registry and from the Wesleyan Methodist Metropolitan Registry are in RG 5."

Also see the digitisation link "Non-conformist births, marriages and deaths (1567-1840)" from this page:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s...searcharchives

MarkJ

Parish Chest - who sponsor this forum - carry Methodist baptism registers for some areas, certainly Cornwall ( I have purchased a few of those ). It may be worth looking to see if such data is available for your specific area of interest.
    Likewise, the local Family History Society may hold Methodist records - again, here in Cornwall they do.

Mark

Loves to help with queries

Default Methodist baptisms, marriages and burials

Firstly, thanks for your help and advice. I've had a quick search in Parish Chest and found nothing in Lincolnshire. I'll try the Lincolnshire or Scunthorpe family history society.

I always get frustrated with TNA links and searches on their site.

I'm looking in particular at 1858 to 1868, all around the village of Scotter.

Famous for offering help & advice

Some of the Lincolnshire Methodist (including Wesleyans and others) registers and records are at Lincolnshire Archives - see this page - the links are on the right of the page. Note that some records relate to the circuit, not the chapel; it's not my part of Lincs, but according to the National Index of Parish Registers you may need to check Brigg and Epworth circuits.

Lincolnshire Archives have a research and copying service; for C of E registers they sell microfiche copies of the originals, but I don't know about Wesleyan ones.

Good luck,
    Arthur

Reputation beyond repute

Post civil registration non-conformist records are NOT with the National Archives. However, in general it's best to stick to civil registration records unless the people concerned can't be found there.

Methodists, I'm led to believe, were pretty good about registering events.

Since 1837, there has been no such thing as a marriage outside of the civil registration system

Mutley

Some of my family from Kent, prior to 1837 I found on IGI, (Family Search.org) and they were baptised in a Wesleyan Chapel. After 1837 the births and marriages mostly took place in Catholic churches and I found them in the normal civil registration indexes.

(I hope I have said that correctly?)

suedent

In my experience of Cornish non-conformists most married in Register Offices as few of the Chapel were registered for marriages until relatively recently.
    As far as burials go, whilst some were buried in graveyards associated with their local chapel, many were buried in churchyards with a methodist minister, not forgetting public cemeteries.

As far as baptisms go I find that you have to be more flexible when searching. I have found that a higher percentage were baptized in family groups with quite a range of ages in each group. I suspect that some of the family group baptisms probably occurred after a particularly stirring travelling preacher had visited or there had been a "tent meeting".