Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    donnydave

Default Grandad and Grandma

I am trying to find my grandparents parents from a marriage certificate? my grandad was Joseph Watson and my grandmother was Mary Elizabeth Garbutt
    my dad was born in 1922 in Clowne Chesterfield, he was a younger child of a large family, my grandmother died from childbirth between 3 and 5 years later than this 1925? but my dad had older brothers and sisters so their marriage could have been about 1912 at a guess. Can anyone help please?

MarkJ

Any idea where they were married?
    There is one Watson/Garbutt marriage on FreeBMD, but the grooms name is Thomas P Watson.The marriage was in Doncaster district June quarter 1912 ref 9c 1347. Bride is Mary E A Garbutt.
    Is this them do you think? Perhaps grandad was known as Joseph?

Another possible, but with the bride named as Hilda Garbutt in 1910 -
    Lanchester district vol 10a page 502

Mark

Edit - Annies discovery looks much better than mine (which I based on a search from 1910 onwards)

donnydave

Default Grandad and Grandma

I am a complete novice at this, is this from a census form or a marriage certificate, is 1907 the year they where married?

Geoffers

An entry from the General Register Office (GRO) index shows that a marriage was registered in the first quarter of 1907 (so the marriage may just have taken place at the end of 1906). You will need to order a copy of the marriage certificate to further your research.

If it is all as clear as mud, try having a browse through this thread that I created for my fellow Norfolk dumplings. Although it has the title 'Beginning Norfolk Research' the first four messages on the thread apply generally to English research.

If you're still stuck, or unsure - please ask.

donnydave

Thanks for the good advice. I have sent for the marriage certificate, but meantime I have found my grandads family in the census, I was given a red herring from a distant family member, they insisted they had come from Scotland, and that grandads dad was called Carl. But they where in my dads birthplace all along Staveley Derbyshire, great grandad George and great grandma Selina,four sons including grandad and five sisters, one who I met a few years back now

donnydave

I have them at the same place in 1901 but Sabina is Selina
    and George should be 38? and there is four kids not born yet?

donnydave

Quote Originally Posted by donnydave View Post
    I have them at the same place in 1901 but Sabina is Selina
    and George should be 38? and there is four kids not born yet?
    I have been trying to trace my grandads family from this info you have given me, who is Joseph age 7 on here I know he married Mary Elizabeth Garbutt but I can not find her on any search I do.
    It seems George was a Norfolk lad from Shorne but I have drawn a blank there as well?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by donnydave
    I have been trying to trace my grandads family from this info you have given me, who is Joseph age 7 on here I know he married Mary Elizabeth Garbutt but I can not find her on any search I do.
    It seems George was a Norfolk lad from Shorne but I have drawn a blank there as well?
    Okedoke - to try and help point you in the right direction

1. Do you have the marriage certificate and what does it record?

2. You say that you cannot find May Garbutt on any search - what are you trying to find and where have you searched?

donnydave

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Okedoke - to try and help point you in the right direction

1. Do you have the marriage certificate and what does it record?

2. You say that you cannot find May Garbutt on any search - what are you trying to find and where have you searched?
    I am waiting on the marriage certificate to arrive?
    and I have been seaching the census for Mary E Garbutt at different ages?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by donnydave
    I am waiting on the marriage certificate to arrive?
    and I have been seaching the census for Mary E Garbutt at different ages?
    There are lots of Mary GARBUTTs in the 1891 census who may be your lass. I would suggest waiting until the marriage certificate arrives and then use that age to try looking again. The father's name and occupation from the marriage certificate should hopefully help to confirm that you have the correct census entry.

Have you found her death in the GRO index? - This will also give an age.

When searching census returns, look at all Mary/Maria GARBUTTs, do not exclude any because they do not have a middle name beginning with E.

Ages sometimes vary tremendously in census returns, when compared to other records (death index, marriage certificate, etc). Don't dismiss an engtry because the age isn't quite right.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast