Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by donnydave View Post
    I know I was clutching at straws, I just thought it was possible he was the George from Thorne and with Annie saying it was transcribed as Sherne Yorkshire
    the 1901 census:
    RG13; Piece: 3257; Folio: 23; Page: 6
    transcribed on A as: Sherne, Yorkshire, England
    on the image it is Norfolk but can't be sure of where in Norfolk
    on the 1881 it just says Norfolk

Now I have lost the George from Hoxne to try him out?
    Do I have to wait until 2011 for the 1911 census? seems a long wait there isnothing to say I will be still here then.
    Eh, there's nowt like a bit of positive thinking to keep yer going.
    With a bit of luck you might have the 1911 census by this time next year. Going to be released in stages so the system (hopefully) doesn't implode like the 1901. I understand the largest towns are going to be released first, so Staveley might mean a little bit of a wait (like my Lincs and Norfolk lot ). But I'm hopeful of December 2009 at the latest instead of January 2012 - which would have been the previous release date and actually still is for the complete census as certain 'sensitive' information is being withheld until then.
    And you haven't lost the George from Hoxne - you just haven't read all the messages in this thread properly. Try number 31 onwards. Then you want https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
    However, before you send off for the certificate, click on the registration district and follow the links. Check out exactly how many of the places in that district are in Norfolk. Though, yes, Hoxne itself is literally just across the river from Norfolk. If you still want to send for that birth certificate then I would suggest that you send for it without specifying that the father's name should be George. There are several reasons why George could have been wrongly entered as the father's name on George junior's marriage certificate, but the vicar shouldn't have made a mistake with the occupation, so the father's occupation on the birth certificate is as important as the name I reckon.
    Pam

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by donnydave
    transcribed on A as: Sherne, Yorkshire, England
    on the image it is Norfolk but can't be sure of where in Norfolk
    on the 1881 it just says Norfolk
    Can you post this part of the 1901 image?

Have you discounted the George Watson from Saham?

donnydave

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Can you post this part of the 1901 image?

Have you discounted the George Watson from Saham?
    I have not discounted him I was going through them in what appears to be most similiar to Shorne? hence Thorne, and Pam I meant I had lost the Hoxne George, as I went through the list of Georges with my credits I saved them to my documents but the PDF with the Hoxne George and the folio, page number etc does not appear to have saved? so I will go through them again and save it along with the Saham George I am sure to find him soon, he must be in Norfolk somewhere.

donnydave

I have recentley found through another descendant who read this thread some more descendants from around the same area Staveley,Clowne, Killamarsh etc, and I decided to look on google earth where one of the families I am researching live on a farm, and on clicking on one of the blue spots on the satellite I veiwed the word Norfolk when it appeared I at first thought it was a village name, but it was a village called Beighton and there is a village of the same name in Norfolk is it possible that the person writing the census thought George was from Norfolk maybe the place I am looking for Shorne is actually nearby in Derbyshire.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi DD
    Why would google earth say Norfolk when you are allegedly looking at an area of Derbyshire? Unless it was merely alerting you to the fact that there is also a village of the same name in Norfolk.
    Also, unless it was the same enumerator (who must have had a very long memory ) who went round and always wrote Norfolk when it came to George's birthplace, why would the census returns always say Norfolk for his birthplace if he was born in Derbyshire?
    Pam

donnydave

OK so he was definitely from Norfolk then

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789