Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Jan1954

I don't think that the first letter is an "S" at all. If the upright of the next letter is put with it, it looks like an "H".

Conclusion: Hoxne

Okay, I know that Hoxne is in Suffolk - but only just! It is right on the border with Norfolk.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    I don't think that the first letter is an "S" at all. If the upright of the next letter is put with it, it looks like an "H".

Conclusion: Hoxne

Okay, I know that Hoxne is in Suffolk - but only just! It is right on the border with Norfolk.
    Bo Peep's right - you are a daft bat. (And one that hasn't been to Specsavers lately, either. )
    Don't look anything like an "H". They're usually pretty clear - check out the 'Head' in the relationship column. Then look at other "S" especially the ones at the top of the page for Staveley. Even if the second letter is a very badly written/mistranscribed "t", I still can't find a likely place.
    Pam
    P.S. Not only is George useless at knowing where he was born, he's also not very good at adding up. In 1901 he's only aged 3 years since the 1891 census.
    P.P.S. Age of 48 in 1901 consistent with saying he's 28 in 1881. MEN!

Jan1954

Okay! I know that I need the optometrist - next month, eh?

I don't think that the second letter is a "t" as I can see no cross-bar. Admittedly, the enumerator was rather lax with these - on Staveley, it is almost on top of the "v" on a couple of entries.

I might have to eat my words Jan. Had you seen that there's a birth registration in Hoxne registration district in June 1852?
    Though interestingly there's a George Watson's birth registered in Thorne reg district (Yorks) in March 1853. None of the George Watson births in 1853 are yet transcribed on FreeBMD.
    I did try to make him the one born and living in Shipdham in 1861 and 1871- especially as he's missing in 1881 - but he appears again in Dartford Kent in 1891.
    Pam

donnydave

Okay! I know that I need the optometrist - next month, eh?

I don't think that the second letter is a "t" as I can see no cross-bar. Admittedly, the enumerator was rather lax with these - on Staveley, it is almost on top of the "v" on a couple of entries.
    You girls are quite clever at this, but you have got me completely confused, so there is no Shorne? and its not Norfolk, but Hoxne in SUFFOLK?
    no wonder I could,nt find him in Norfolk, but then I am a MAN not so bright either it seems. Thanks again for all the help

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by donnydave View Post
    You girls are quite clever at this,
    Thank you, kind sir

but you have got me completely confused, so there is no Shorne?
    Nope
    and its not Norfolk, but Hoxne in SUFFOLK?
    Yup.
    no wonder I could,nt find him in Norfolk, but then I am a MAN not so bright either it seems. Thanks again for all the help
    However, to be fair, Hoxne is a lttle diddle of a place (unless you are talking about the registration district), right on the Norfolk/Suffolk border and may well have been considered as being Norfolk at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by donnydave View Post
    You girls are quite clever at this, but you have got me completely confused, so there is no Shorne? and its not Norfolk, but Hoxne in SUFFOLK?
    No DD, we're NOT saying it's Hoxne.
    Jan's saying that's what she thinks it might be. Though I'm saying I don't think it is. But there is a birth registered in Hoxne district in 1852. List of places in the registration district can be found at
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/hoxne.html
    (Do you now that on FreeBMD if you click on the registration district of an entry you get a link to a similar page as the Hoxne one above? Or else bookmark https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/index.htm )
    What I'm saying is that I can't find a refernce to a Shorne in Norfolk, only to one in Kent.
    I have a feeling that George's place of birth might have to go on the back burner until the 1911 census is released and you can see if his memory (to say nothing of his writing) has improved as he's got older. Though his marriage certificate might give a breakthrough, depending on how accurate the details of his father's name and occupation are.
    Pam

Jan1954

Pam is quite right. I think that it is Hoxne - but I am quite happy to be proved wrong.

Pam - it never occurred to me to check for a birth registration for the chap. I just looked at the word and, as Hoxne is a familiar place name to me, it leapt into my mind. Also, with it being on the Norfolk/Suffolk border...

Pam is quite right. I think that it is Hoxne - but I am quite happy to be proved wrong.

Pam - it never occurred to me to check for a birth registration for the chap. I just looked at the word and, as Hoxne is a familiar place name to me, it leapt into my mind. Also, with it being on the Norfolk/Suffolk border...
    Dangerous to go on just finding a birth reg in what you think might be the right district though. Especially as the 1853 George Watson birth registrations have yet to be transcribed - and there's quite a few of them, though I don't think there were any Norfolk ones.
    Deffo need the marriage certificate, DD, before we make any more guesses.
    Pam

donnydave

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Dangerous to go on just finding a birth reg in what you think might be the right district though. Especially as the 1853 George Watson birth registrations have yet to be transcribed - and there's quite a few of them, though I don't think there were any Norfolk ones.
    Deffo need the marriage certificate, DD, before we make any more guesses.
    Pam
    OK I am waiting on the marriage certificate, but could you give me a bit more help, my Dads Mother Mary Elizabeth Garbutt died and my late father always said he was 5 at the time, so I have been using up my credits looking through the deaths to get an exact date, and then add Grandads second wife, but I have hit a dead end again, one page in 1928 will not let me access it, it comes up with a (%pdf) and then my computer freezes?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast