Jon Whiting

Default Thomas SHARMAN & William WATSON

I am hoping that someone can help me with identifying Thomas Lewis Dickins SHARMAN.

Thomas was born August 1864 in Daventry, the son of Anne SHARMAN and an unknown father.

In the 1871 and 1881 censuses he is living as the grandson of William George WATSON and Mary Ann (TURTON). However, there is no sign of a son who could be Thomas' father, nor of a daughter Anne who may have married a Sharman.

In both censuses they are living at 12 Todds Lane, Northampton
    (RG10/1485/97/5 and RG11/1549/88/10).

I would be grateful for any help in sorting out this relationship.

Regards
    Jon

janbooth

Default Thomas SHARMAN

There is a birth registration on FreeBMD of a Thomas Lewis Dickins SHARMAN in the September qtr 1864 at Daventry reg district, vol 3b, page 97. You can order this certificate online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ and this will give you both his father's name and profession plus mother's maiden name which will then enable you to trace both lines back a further generation.

Janet

bumblebee

There is a marriage for a William Watson and on the same page (along with lots of others) a Mary Ann Sharman - how sure are you that it was Mary Ann Turton. (Q3 1848 Daventry)

I found an Ann/e Sharman born and living in Daventry with Mother Harriet Sharman (unmarried) - could they tie up somewhere

There is this family on the 1841 census - Class: HO107; Piece 798; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Daventry; County: Northamptonshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 8; Page: 11;

............Harriett Sharman 19
    Martha Sharman 1
    .............Mary Ann Sharman 25
    Susan Sharman 44
    William Sharman 15

Bumblebee

Jon Whiting

Default Thomas SHARMAN

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    There is a birth registration on FreeBMD of a Thomas Lewis Dickins SHARMAN in the September qtr 1864 at Daventry reg district, vol 3b, page 97. You can order this certificate online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ and this will give you both his father's name and profession plus mother's maiden name which will then enable you to trace both lines back a further generation.

Janet
    Hi Janet, Thanks for your reply.

I have the certificate. This gives the mother's name as Anne Sharman (no other maiden name given) but the father's name and details are blank. This is why I am trying to find further information.

Regards
    Jon

Jon Whiting

Default Thomas SHARMAN

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
    There is a marriage for a William Watson and on the same page (along with lots of others) a Mary Ann Sharman - how sure are you that it was Mary Ann Turton. (Q3 1848 Daventry)

I found an Ann/e Sharman born and living in Daventry with Mother Harriet Sharman (unmarried) - could they tie up somewhere

There is this family on the 1841 census - Class: HO107; Piece 798; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Daventry; County: Northamptonshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 8; Page: 11;

............Harriett Sharman 19
    Martha Sharman 1
    .............Mary Ann Sharman 25
    Susan Sharman 44
    William Sharman 15

Bumblebee
    Hi Bumblebee,

Thanks for that information. That marriage seems more likely than the Turton marriage in Liverpool 1846 (for which I am still awaiting the certificate). William Watson was born Woolwich, Kent, and seems to have been in Liverpool at some time, so I jumped the gun with the Liverppol marriage. I will apply for the Daventry certificate.

The Sharman links look like a problem with the illegitamacies, being made more confused by the description of 'Granddaughter' in the censuses.

I'll have to investigate it further.

Regards
    Jon