liddell

Default Sergeant James Clark - Royal Scots

My Great-Grandfather served in the Royal Scots. I have a copy of his wedding certificate to Jane Elizabeth Bamber in Kamptee, India in 1903. He was listed as a sergeant at this time.

My Grandfather was born in 1905 but we really do not know where. We have been told that it was Stirling but there is a question mark over whether he was adopted. His name was Eric George Clark.

Can anyone tell me where the Royal Scots were between Kamptee in 1903 until about about 1920?

My grandfather could speak fluent Urdu and Hindi and had said that he had grown up in India but was sent home to military school later on. He then joined the Royal Scots himself.

Thank you

Trina

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

1st Battalion

1895 Scotland: Edinburgh
    1896 Ireland: Curragh or Fermoy
    1899.11 South Africa 3 Inf Bde
    1904> England: Aldershot
    1909> Shorncliffe
    1912> India: Allahabad
    1914.12 France and Flanders 27 Div
    1915.12 Macedonia
    1919 Black Sea
    1920 UK

2nd Battalion

1884 Scotland: Edinburgh
    1887 England: Aldershot
    1890 Malta
    1891 India
    1893 Madras
    1897 Burma: Mandalay
    1899 India: Poona
    1904> Kemptee
    1909> Bombay
    1912> England: Plymouth 8 Bde
    1914.08.14 France and Flanders 3 Div
    1920.07 Ireland: Ennis

Keith

Reputation beyond repute

Best things you can do are to track down the 1905 birth. The Scottish chunk of Army returns are held by the GROS. I don't know what the access arrangements are. Or just apply for a certificate without the GROS reference (you can do that with GRO so presumably you can with GROS).

Secondly try and track down the father's service records (either TNA or if he retired after the end of WW1, through MoD).

liddell

Thank you so much for the information Keith. I think from that I can say that he was in the second battalion.

Thanks too Peter for your suggestion. How do I go about getting information from the Archives. It does seem very confusing.

We had toyed with the idea that my grandfather may have been adopted in india. Maybe of Anglo-Indian origin but have absolutely no idea where to start on that one!!!!

Thanks again

Trina

Reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I don't claim to know anything about Scottish research but you could have a look at the GROS site (this would be for the birth certificate)
    https://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/index.html

If he retired afer WW1, this address will be relevant:
    https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html