pipsqueak

Default Glamorgan & Pembrokeshire policemen

Among the many unmarked photos I inherited 25 years ago are two photographs of policemen. I also have a truncheon and a uniform button from the Glamorgan Constabulary.

The first photograph shows a policeman who bears an uncanny resemblance to my father as a young man.
    I contacted the Glamorgan Constabulary who gave me a list of names associated with the number seen on his collar. Unfortunately I don't recognise any of the names so perhaps someone else will:

- John Crabtree, born 1884 in Cardiff, joined the force in 1904.
    - Bertram Frederick Crees, born 1885 in Taunton, joined the force in 1908.
    - Thomas James Harper, born 1884 in Leominster, joined the force in 1907.
    - William Jones, born 1875 in Ross-on-Wye, joined the force in 1903.
    - David Herbert Morris, born 1886 in Mochdre near Newtown, joined the force in 1909.
    - Alfred Jasper Richards, born 1880 in Llanelli, joined the force in 1905.

The second photo was apparently published in "The County Echo" - presumably a newspaper. It shows a seasoned policeman wearing a cape and helmet and the caption reads:
    "Billa" Wm. James, Fishguard.

FYI, my great-grandfather was born in the Fishguard area and moved to Glamorgan in the 1880s so there must be some sort of connection, if only one of acquaintance.

Anyway I thought I'd post them here in case someone else can claim them as ancestors!

If you click on the links below, wait a minute, because you will first be taken to a page with multiple photographs but then to the picture under discussion. Apologies to those with slower connections.

EDIT
    As the links that were posted no longer work they have been removed by Administrator
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 02-01-2012 at 2:10 PM. Reason: removed obsolete links

bracaragh

Photo's to die for...........they're lovely.

drowning

Hello an greetings for 2012
    My ancestor is John Crabtree - cannot open the photo's though - some strange site pops up with Chinese Writing???
    Drowning

pipsqueak

Quote Originally Posted by drowning View Post
    Hello an greetings for 2012
    My ancestor is John Crabtree - cannot open the photo's though - some strange site pops up with Chinese Writing???
    Drowning
    I am sorry - I haven't been on here for a long time and I did remove the pictures from photobucket. If you send me a private message with an email address I can send you a copy of my photo, if you are still interested.

drowning

Default Glamorgan Policemen

Yes Please. Just received your message.
    rockrat at eircom. net

pipsqueak

I have just sent you the photo by email - please let me know whether or not he belongs to you!

pipsqueak

Turns out my photo is, in fact, of Drowning's ancestor, John Crabtree. How exciting! I wonder how it came to be in my family though....