foxym

Default Michael O'Brien - Comedian

I have very little information about Michael as yet other than he is shown as a comedian at the marriage of his son Albert in1854 in Westminster, London. He is deceased at Albert's second marriage in 1871. The family would appear to have been living in London for some while as birth place of Albert, born abt. 1827 is consistently shown as Blackfriars on each census. Have not been able to find Michael on census. Does anyone have any ideas where to look for info on comedians?

Tederator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by foxym View Post
    I have very little information about Michael as yet other than he is shown as a comedian at the marriage of his son Albert in1854 in Westminster, London. He is deceased at Albert's second marriage in 1871. The family would appear to have been living in London for some while as birth place of Albert, born abt. 1827 is consistently shown as Blackfriars on each census. Have not been able to find Michael on census. Does anyone have any ideas where to look for info on comedians?
    Strange that, I was just scanning through the various sections looking for something else when I came across this post. In a post I put up elsewhere on BG I stated that on my Great Grandmother's marriage certificate her husband's profession was stated to be 'Comedian', the marriage was in 1867 Lambeth, does anybody know what the significance of this could be? or were they all jokers in those days.

Cheers

Ted.

Mutley

There were lots of music halls around in those days and in your area then, was the Royal Surrey Theatre, Blackfriars Road.

I think the Victorians were very into comedy with burlesque here and vaudeville abroad.

I had an acrobat, dancers and a pan pipe player.